In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

savages and rems

Hi guys,

Went and shot prairie dogs with a bunch last week. A couple of
them shooting 110's had problems. I the barrels had come loose
or something like that. It was a large group of 12. Half were
shooting savages. All 22-250's except me. The other guns were-
3-700rems,mod-70,kimber,wea svm,brn a bolt. the remingtons all
had trouble with accuracy and chambering of the ammo. It was all
loaded by these guys.. And very inconsistant. Some of it had high
primers.Sticky chambering from what looked like sloppy resizing.
I think the load was a little hot too.
The ammo that would not in the savages and remingtons all shot in
the weatherby,m-70,kimber,and browning.
why did the ammo give problem to the 110's and 700's and not the
others?

zeldabluum

Comments

• dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    The variances in chambers coupled with the reloaded ammo (neck sized ??) could likely be the cause. For example a case that was originally fired in a rem ,reloaded and fired in a savage may have problems with fit causing problems with chambering , accuracy, extraction and possibly higher pressure than in the gun the load was developed for.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    compressed loads exposed to sunlight and heat? that forces a bullet out of the neck and makes chambering hard and accuracy sucks. Just a thought. If the ammo was all resized on the same die, and used for all rifles, then that could quite possibly be the cause. every chamber is different.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • zeldabluumzeldabluum Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC

All the 22-250 users share reloading duties and ammo. All the components are shared. The brass is all mixed from different
    firearms.But this is also the same story of remanufactured ammo-
    yes? I have not seen these guys actually reload this ammo. I did
    notice that some primers were seated differently. What puzzles me most was that only the savages and the 700's had trouble with this
    ammo. the win-kim-wby guns had no trouble. I am new at this game.
    The main reason I chose 223 was because i wanted to see the action
    in the scope when i pulled the trigger. THE RED MIST.

zeldabluum@yahoo.com
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You've answered your own question. The list is long on problems; mixed brass, improperly seated primers, probably improperly adjust seating die also-guess, brass probably fired in different rifles, loads worked up in different temperatures than ones used, I doubt that the cases were properly trimmed to length either, etc. This list is long but it is only part of the problems I see. Somebody needs to clean up their reloading practices before something more serious happens.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah,...1 set of dies PER RIFLE. Set the dies for each rifles chamber, and load for that rifle only. That would fix their troubles. I am betting the chambers that accepted the rounds with no hangups, have to be larger than those that did not. That to me is NOT a good thing. I like tight chambers if I can get them.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zeldabluum
    Hi guys,

Went and shot prairie dogs with a bunch last week. A couple of
    them shooting 110's had problems. I the barrels had come loose
    or something like that.

Switch barrel system? and did not they did not check head space? Just guessing.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • zeldabluumzeldabluum Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Franc

No switch barrels. The rems shot a bit better after a good cleaning.

I am planning on staying 223 factory ammo when shooting with these

guys. We usually stopped and cleaned after 50 rds or so. Some that

shot Savages said they would almost see a vapor trail at times.

They were using 50gr vmax bullets and a powder called Varget.

Dont know how much either. Wish I could have gotten a couple of

rounds.

zeldabluum
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could see the 110 having problems at long range. I have one in .270
    but it has the 22" pencil barrel on it. It shoots good but not a varmint rig. Now my Rem 40X
    in 22-250 is killer varmint gun. Picked it up used with 250 rounds through a new barrel for $350 in 1984 in an estate sale (was a gun smith) and he had this thing dialed in.

If your still looking try and find a used 40x or just get a Rem 700.
    Also the Savage 112 BVSS is hard to beat for price and accuracy.

My pet load for (my) 22-250
    is 35.5gr of H380
    Rem 7 1/2 mag primer
    with a 55gr SPSX bullet.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Just to clarify... while there may be some slight chamber to chamber differences in any single brand of gun those will likely be magnified from one brand of gun to another and still meet SAMI specs. The cases originally fired in the savage, reloaded and fired in the remington may have a completely different problem than those originally fired in the remingtons, reloaded and fired in the savage. This results from caseforming, the case takes the shape/dimensions of the chamber it was fired in. If the sizing dies were set purposly or inadvertantly to just neck size (maximum efficiency) and not bump the shoulder back they may be too tight or too loose in one particular of brand gun. Just sounds like sloppy reloading practices to me. Occassionally when I am sizing and start going too fast I find myself "shortstroking" and end up with cases that are hard to chamber. Irregular brass length can also lead to overcrimpingor undercrimping which can lead to accuracy and chambering problems. Might be a case of just too many hands in the cookie dough. I load 243 for two different guns. Often the load I use is a comprimise in order to function reasonably in both guns. Either could probably do a bit better with "its own" load but the compromise is acceptable for me.