In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Report on some HOT loads!

Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today I had a chance to finally do some shooting with the .44 Magnum SBH. I had a box of 180 JHP, a box of 240 JHP, and a box of Federal's load featuring their 300 grain CastCore bullet, which is actually made by the Cast Bullet Performance Company. We stated off by firing the 180 and 240 grain rounds. I thought that these had more of a jump to them, like a quick, snappy whip. When we got to the 300 grain I was pleasantly surprised. They had some recoil to them, don't get me wrong. However, they were more of a solid push than anything else.

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have gone to just shooting heavy lead bullets in my 44's. I use a 310 grain GC bullet. It gives a good solid recoil, but is not a sharp smack to the hand like the lighter bullets. I really hate the Remington 180 grain load.

• Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second that on the 180 Remington. They seem to kick like the dickens. While we are on the sbject, does anyone have a good source for cast bullets? Preferrably LFN like those made by Cast Bullet Perf. Comp?

I'm looking for something in the 300-320 grain weight, hard cast.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    How long is the bbl you were shooting? I've found that, with 300-grain jacketed soft points, my 7-1/2 inch SBH doesn't snap as much, but it twists more.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Bill how many do you need? Drop me a line.

• Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrell on my SBH has been cut and re-crowned to 4 inches. Richbug, email sent.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I like to shoot 210-240 grain bullets...preferrably...the 225 gr....in my Ruger 44 Mag with 7.5" barrel.

AWESOME accuracy. People are kind of mad when you take down the lead plates at 100 yards, consistently, with a 44 magnum pistol!!
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    I like to shoot 210-240 grain bullets...preferrably...the 225 gr....in my Ruger 44 Mag with 7.5" barrel.

AWESOME accuracy. People are kind of mad when you take down the lead plates at 100 yards, consistently, with a 44 magnum pistol!!

What kind of Ruger? RH? SRH? SBH? I'm just kind of taking a poll on favorite Rugers.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"