In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7/8" Group at 517 yards with a RUGER...PIC

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Yes, I said that right. A Ruger 25-06. A buddy came over and shot a 7/8" group at 517 yards today with his Mk 77VT in 25-06. He was using 100 gr Nosler BT's. He had 3 shot group with one flyer.

Comments

• PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's a better man than I am gunga din.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is some very nice shooting!
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    wow. accurate [:0][:D]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I shot a 1 3/4" group with the same rifle, but he managed to cut that in half! ...funny thing is, he was PO'ed b/c mine were all in the bull while his group was a little high and to the right. I would have gladly exchanged targets with him![:)]
    edited November -1
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah,..but was a judge there[:D] I'm kidding,..kidding. That is superb shooting, no matter who is on the trigger. Ifin he can run 5 of them under 1.071" at 600yds, he is the "new" man to beat[^]

I have a ruger 77 MKII that is uncanny accurate as well,..with a pencil barrel to boot[:0] although I am not placing any bets on 7/8" at 517yds with it[;)]
  • bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    got a ruger 77 mk II myself, in 25-06. medium weight barrel, it shoots, but i guess i need a trigger job :). first gun i ever bought myself, nothing will be altered on the gun. thats helluva gud shooting. especially when we think in terms of a deer's shoulder, or head for that matter. like justc said get him out there at 6 hundy. (and get in the picture with him for some PR leeching [:p])
  • roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC: "Yes, I said that right. A Ruger 25-06. A buddy came over and shot a 7/8" group at 517 yards today with his Mk 77VT in 25-06. He was using 100 gr Nosler BT's. He had 3 shot group with one flyer."

Wouldn't such shooting qualify as World Class? What sort of rest? What was the weather, in terms of temperature and wind? That sort of report is phenominal all right.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roysclockgun
    ECC: "Yes, I said that right. A Ruger 25-06. A buddy came over and shot a 7/8" group at 517 yards today with his Mk 77VT in 25-06. He was using 100 gr Nosler BT's. He had 3 shot group with one flyer."

Wouldn't such shooting qualify as World Class? What sort of rest? What was the weather, in terms of temperature and wind? That sort of report is phenominal all right.

Just sand bags. Temp in the 60's. Very light and sporadic cross wind. Just some backyard long range guys shooting for fun...with the help of a WHOLE lot of luck[;)][:)]
    edited November -1
    pictures man, we need some pictures[:D] You can't get us all worked up like that and let us down[:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    pictures man, we need some pictures[:D] You can't get us all worked up like that and let us down[:0]

He took his target home. I'll see if he can take a pic and email it to me.[:)]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric,

Ya never know, I've heard of people bashing Rugers QC. But, I still think my most interesting shots were with my .257 Rbts. in a Ruger M77 MKII Ultralight.

I sniped a coyote right at 600 yds about ten yards out into the calving field. Five minutes later I nailed his buddy at 620 yds. about 5 yds. into the field. Ruger's are accurate rifles in spite of what some people say. A friend of mine came up from Nevada to Montana where I lived at the time and nailed a gopher at 365 yds 'off the knee'. Contrary to popular belief Ruger barrels are not made of re-bar, they shoot.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    So how many bullets are counted in the group?- some years back I fired a 2.5" group at 300 yards with a M77 270 w/90 gr Sierras, but of the ten shots, 5 were in a .9" group. So if I had worked on the cases to eliminate what amounts to fliers, the group would have approached your friends- It's strange to talk of shots that are w/i 1 MOA as fliers.
  • roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably most folks who follow these discussions can give an anecdote concerning an exceptional group. There is a story of a gent around 1900 taking a pronghorn at just over 1000 yards, using a rifle chambered in 7x57Mauser. Anecdotal evidence usually informs us of luck and not of consistancy.
    edited November -1
    100_0472.jpg

I'm still drooling...[:p]
    edited November -1
    WOW!![:D][:D][:0][:0][:p][:p]
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    shoot i can do that with a jennings/BRYCO 9mm (stir stir) [}:)][;)]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:0][:0][:0] Got a keeper rifle there! and some fine shootin to boot!
  • Doc BarrDoc Barr Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read with interest the 517 yard shot, 7/8inch group. You should have included the scope, type, etc. I have a Ruger #1 Varmint 25-06, topped with a 24 power Leupold scope. I have killed woodchucks in excess of 500 yards with it, but it is not a target rifle in the sense that I would attempt small groups with it, such as 7/8 inchs. I shoot 1000 yard benchrest in Williamsport, Pa. My best aggregate of 10 shots was 7.775 inches with a .50 cal, match barrel LAR, 750 gr AMAX bullet seated on 233 grains Hodgdon .50BMG powder, CCI Primers. The record is 2 inches at 1000 yards. Your 25-06 is inherently capable of greater accuracy than you or I or anyone else for that matter can ever achieve. But, unless you have it mounted in a Shehane composite stock with a 36 power Unertl on top, the 7/8 inch group is probably the only time you will ever do that shot at 517 yards. One question, what did you use for a target? Bill
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc Barr
    I read with interest the 517 yard shot, 7/8inch group. You should have included the scope, type, etc. I have a Ruger #1 Varmint 25-06, topped with a 24 power Leupold scope. I have killed woodchucks in excess of 500 yards with it, but it is not a target rifle in the sense that I would attempt small groups with it, such as 7/8 inchs. I shoot 1000 yard benchrest in Williamsport, Pa. My best aggregate of 10 shots was 7.775 inches with a .50 cal, match barrel LAR, 750 gr AMAX bullet seated on 233 grains Hodgdon .50BMG powder, CCI Primers. The record is 2 inches at 1000 yards. Your 25-06 is inherently capable of greater accuracy than you or I or anyone else for that matter can ever achieve. But, unless you have it mounted in a Shehane composite stock with a 36 power Unertl on top, the 7/8 inch group is probably the only time you will ever do that shot at 517 yards. One question, what did you use for a target? Bill

The scope was a Luepold Vari-X III on 14X...and yes, this is probably the best group that rifle will ever see. I sure wish we would have had something with more power on it, b/c this particular group would have been even better. The stock is the factory laminated stock. BTW...the world record at 1000 yards is right at 1.5"...not 2". It's actually just over 1.5, but I don't remember the last two numbers. There was a whole lot of luck involved here, but the rifle does have potential. I shot a 1.75" group just before he shot his 7/8" group. As for the target, it was just a piece of cardboard stapled to two stakes with a piece of computer paper stapled to it...with a 3" orange dot.
    edited November -1
    I beleive he means the PA record Eric, them boys like shootin 10rnds instead of 5. Ever notice the number of gunsmiths in PA[;)]
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where did the flyer hit?
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.