In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

primers-- drastic difference ?

D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
what is the most drastic or major difference you have had by just switching primers on a load?
I recently had a switch from CCI #200 to Rem. 9.5 lge rifle make an unbelievable difference.

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just like some bullets, primers can sometime make a drastic difference in any givin barrel...
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello you asked but did not say what kind of differance. I have been shooting Bulls-Eye pistol for 40 plus years .Our slowfire is done at 50 yards with a 45 on a 3inch 10 ring target I do alot of testing with these pistols in a RANSOM REST not only do different brands act different but different LOT# of the same brand can make a big change.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what I encountered was in working up a load for a friends newly barreled rifle in 257 Roberts.
    a load that Id used in several others was causing pressure problems,sticky bolt ,primers flattened with some cratering and 2 inch group.as stated this same load had been used in other rifles with no problem,I know every barrel ,chamber ,bore varies and what works in one wont in another.
    Ive had extensive reloading experience for years in our shop.
    I changed from a cci 200 lge rifle to rem.9 and half lge rifle primer,all else the same.
    would you believe, no signs of pressure whatsoever,and three shot groups, holes all touching at 100 yds.
    I couldnt believe the difference a change in primers made.
    any of you ever had a change like this?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    You just might do the same thing when you seat a bullet that is .020 different from another one.
    I had a 22/250 AI once that shot real good but a .020 longer bullet seat cut the groups in half every time.
    A primer change can do the same thing as you noticed.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I gave up on CCI Primers years ago, always had vertical string,[xx(][:(!] and some just didn't go off. On my hunting Rifles I use Winchester or Federal's.[:D][:D]
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In weapons that have light firing pin strikes, I find that Federals can be counted on to detonate more reliably than others. CCIs, OTOH, tend to be the hardest. For normal use, I go for Remingtons, they're cheaper than Federals hereabouts.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most notable change I've encountered was in following Steve Meachams lead and going from small rifle to small pistol primers in the .22 Hornet. That, and a few other "tricks" of his have my Kimber 82 shooting half inch and under all day long.