In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee trimmer?

I searched but did not find anything. Does anyone have experience with the Lee Zip Trim? Also, are trimmers mostly for rifle cases or do you need a trimmer for pistol cases too?

Thanks,
Reloading newbie

Comments

• RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Goldeneagle,
    I've wondered about the zip trim too. Will be interested to see what folks say.
    Re: handgun vs. rifle, in general you won't trim as often, if at all, with the handgun rounds since the straight cases don't tend to stretch like the higher pressure bottle necked rifle brass. That said, Proper length is necessary for headspacing (like with the .45 acp) and for uniform crimping on any of the rimmed cases. Once you have uniform length, my experience has been that brass usually gives out to a neck split or loose primer pocket before a length trim is needed, so it's usually a one time thing, if all.
    good luck
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never trimmed Pistol brass in over thirty years of reloading, and tens of thousands of .45, .38 Super, and 9mm reloaded.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The Lee trimming tools work great with a good drill, Super fast, and As good or better than any out there. The zip-trim is a waste of time and money.
  • deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above post. Lee drill held trimmers are the best value. I bought a zip-trim. Looked at it and never used it
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Ditto. I find the Lee trimmer that chucks into the drill works great, better by far than my hand crank Lyman model, though the available trimmer pilots are somewhat limited to fairly available calibers. They do offer a special order for others though.