In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

H4895 in 7.62x39mm

jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
Hello, I have been reloading for a few years now but now is my first time loading the 7.62x39mm. The limited info I have and the available powders I have I am wanting to use Hodgdon H4895. Hodgdon's manual and website show a starting charge of 27grs of H4895 and a MAX of 28grs for a 150gr pill.

My issue is that with 27grs I have a almost full case and a compression load with the seated bullet. I was under the impression that manufacturers listed loads as compressed or am I missing something here.

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Jeremy T.

EDIT: Thanks for the reply sandwarrior! I know that H4895 isn't ideal for this round but I have a ready supply and it is just for plinking. As far as tapping it down, I have been using a long drop funnel and tapping with a file handle and I still only have roughly an 1/8" from the powder to case mouth. I don't plan on reloading this caliber a lot but have started looking for other load data and more sutible powders. Thanks

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll post what I posted on the Ask the Experts:

jtmarine0831,

Normally compression loads are listed so. But, it depends also on how much they tapped the powder down before they seated the bullet and whether or not you did. Try tapping the load down once you discharge the powder into the case.

I would think that 27 gr. of H4895 would be about right to start out. 28 as max seems a little low. Either way, you're not going to overpressure that case with H4895. And, either at max or minimum you aren't going to have a lot of room after the powder is put in.

FWIW you might also try AA2520 in that case. It seems to have the right properties to make most midweight bullets in that case go faster.
  • swagg68swagg68 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What would be the ideal powder mfg and type for this load? I am entertaining reloading this caliber if I can get some decent priced bullets and more brass. Also, from what I can tell this caliber uses regular large rifle primers?
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    swagg68, not all use large rifle primers. I have some PMC, Winchester, and Remington brass. The PMC is LR, the Winchester is LR, but the Remington is SR. Also I was looking on MidwayUSA last night to see when they expected more Winchester brass in and their discription recommended Small Rifle Primers. I don't know if they changed the brass, but I know that the Winchester brass I have is LR cause I just loaded 20rds last night when I posted this topic.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jtmarine0831,

Just as a question, what are you getting for groups and velocities from the H4895?

BTW, I think it may not be the "optimal" powder but it's sure one of the most useable powders out there for general reloading of many calibers.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the original 123-gr bullet, powders as fast as AA1680 (developed for that cartridge) are ideal. For heavier bullets, you might want to look at LilGun, H4198SC, H322, Benchmark, 3031, AA2015 or AA2230. All except the 3031 are small-kernel or spherical powders.

For loads that have to be really vibrated into the case to fit, I hold the case against a rechargeable razor while I dribble the powder in. Also, "swirl" the powder through the funnel; it makes a big difference in how the powder packs itself in.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    jtmarine0831,

Just as a question, what are you getting for groups and velocities from the H4895?

BTW, I think it may not be the "optimal" powder but it's sure one of the most useable powders out there for general reloading of many calibers.

Can't answer that yet, just loaded my first 20. I have limited data and the data I do have is all Hodgdon powders of which I only have BL-C2 and H4895
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish you the best of luck. Those loads will certainly go bang, and the bullet will exit the barrel, but I can't predict anything beyond that. If all I had were BLC-2 and 4895, I'd postpone loading for that round until I could get the right powder.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.