In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee pro 1000 press

Any of you guys have any experience
with this press?
I'm having index problems
and I'm wondering if I actually
downgraded instead of upgrading
from my Rockchucker? should
I deep six this press?
Thanks

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have had one for several years and it is a pain to use. I wish I had never bought it. It is gathering dust on my bench.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    When Lee Prossives work, they work really well. When they don't work, you want to throw them in the lake. I have had a Loadmaster for a few years, after I worked all the kinks out of it, I can hang with a dillon 650 all day long. 1000 rounds takes under 2 hours.

Getting it to this point was frustrating to say the least.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I just called Cabelas and I'm
    sending the unit back for a
    new one and as soon as I receive
    it, it's going to my son-in-law.
    He can deal with it.There are
    as everybody knows precise alignments
    that are depending on so
    many sloppy movements.I can't
    see how it will ever stay working for any
    length of time without mishap.
    I'm gonna stick with my Rockchucker for another
    25 years. I don't need irritation as a prelude
    to fun!
    Thanks
    rong
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of them and they work great. For under 150.00 shipped for a complete progressive press you can not beat them.

I have one setup for 45ACP, over 20K through that press already in the past few years. Cost me less than 50.00 in maintnance.

Have a 9mm Lee 1000 Pro and it has about 8500 rounds through it. The 9mm setup is a freaking champ, never jams unless I short stroke it.

IMO I think they are great for the money to do PISTOL calibers. I would not use one to load for rifles.

Speed is about 400 an hour easily.

Now are they cool like the Dillons? Not even close. But then again they do not come with a hefty price tag like Dillon either.

Just take your time and set it up right the first time and you wont have any issues.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rong-If you're fed up with the Lee-try a Dillon RL-550b. I have three of them. You will love progressive reloading-especially for pistol calibers.

If my recollection is correct-You can buy it-try it for 30 days-if you don't love it-send it back to Dillon for all your money back. I think they used to even refund you your cost to ship it back to them. Get the Dillon dies with it-they work best. Dillon's set-up is easy and they have a toll-free number to call if you have questions. I have loaded thousands of rounds on mine.

I have a Lee I bought as part of a large deal but have never tried to set it up.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have one. It is finicky, true. You have to make sure to keep the primer hopper full. You have to make sure the powder dispenser chain is tight. You have to make sure to use full strokes of the handle or it won't charge the powder. Plus I had to add a lock washer ot the case feeder bolt to keep it from swiveling.

That said, once you DO get it set up, it works fine. I've had no indexing troubles. Biggest pain is the primer feeder; when it gets low they don't feed, or jam.

I also don't like it that I can't remove the primers when done easily. Still, a good value for loading pistol rounds. I've probably done about 500 .32 ACP, 500 .38 special, and 100 9mm on mine so far, and while not as fast as a Dillon or as reliable, I timed myself; start to finish I can load 4X the ammo for the same time as on my rockchucker, so yeah, it does work, like a Yugo works vs. a Cadilac.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies fellas but the new press
    came in and I gave it to my son-in-law.
    It's raining here so I've been
    using my Rockchucker for a couple
    of days and it's not fast
    but it's therapeutic and I'm
    happy.For some reason
    I woke up this morning and my
    arm is sore [:)]