In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Carbine reload

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
Sorry to be so dumb but which CCI Mil Spec primer do you use for carbine ammo? # 34 or #41.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO I see no need to load a MILITARY SPEC primer in a 30 carbine This is not a long range cartridge. a plain standard small rifle primer will work fine .EDIT NOT TRUE on mil spec primers [:p]There are loads of other firearms with the same style firing pin as carbine . that work just fine with normal primers . Just make sure you dont have a bunch of rust in the bolt to cause the pin to bind and not be free to float.[:(]
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just use CCI small rifle primers- #400.
    The Speer manual lists CCI#400,450,41.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use standard small rifle primers although I use Winchester.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use any small rifle primers I have on hand. Have never had a problem with them going BANG!
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I thought that you needed to use a Mil Spec. primer as it has a free floating firing pin and the tougher primer avoided slam fires. Not true?
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You don't have to; it depends on the round fired and your gun. Try letting the bolt slam on a few empty rounds- i.e. no powder- and see if it dimples the primer. If not, you don't need one. If so- your call; the worst that will happen is a double fire- happens about every 100 rounds or so with my french MAS 49 unless I use CCI primers.
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the info. Since I don't have any small rifle primers and need to get all the stuff to reload I think I'll go with the #41 just to be safe.
  • ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use small pistol primers, actually, and haven't had any misfires, but as I'm sitting here thinking about it, I've got a lot of soot off these loads...hmmmmm

I load the standard 110 gr round nose bullet with 14 gr Win296 powder, according to my Hornady manual this pretty closely duplicates the standard military round.

Peace,

Mike
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded thousands of rounds of .30 Carb using CCI & Win small rifle primers and no problems at all.

If your not using virgin brass, you will need to trim the brass as it stretches when being resized.