In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading the 7 X 57 (7mm Mauser)

I would be interested in hearing from individuals who have experience reloading for this caliber. I know that the twist of the rifling influences the choice of bullets and I will be using an older barrell which will prefer the heavier bullets. I do reload but not this caliber so I am familiar with the basics. I currently reload for the .43, 7mm mag and the .30-06.

Interested in the primers, powder, cases, etc. in successful loads.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone cares to send me.

Comments

• swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pre-64 Model 70 Win. that I load for. I use 150 grain Nosler Partition in front of a stiff charge of Norma 204 powder. I receive better than adequate accuracy with velocities in the 2750 fps range. I use Norma cases and Win. standard rifle primers.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a lot of good scores using 168gr Sierra's and a moderate
    charge of IMR 4350 or H414. Most comertial 7mm's come with a 9 or 10 inch twist and that works for anything from 145gr to 175gr bullets.
  • Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy! I have a 1908 Brazillian m98 with 29"+ barrel.[:)] All original.[^][:D]
    7x57mm Mauser. My loads over the years have consisted of the following:

Bullet powder primer case brand oal note

175gr.RN 50grs. IMR4831 RP W-W 3.060 Compressed
    175gr.RN 43grs. IMR4350 RP R-P 3.060 also W-W cases
    160gr. Speer SP 51grs. IMR4831 R-P W-W 3.055 Compressed
    160gr. Speer SPBT 42grs. IMR4064 W-W W-W 3.060
    150gr. Norma SPBT 42grs. H380 R-P W-W 3.048 also R-P cases

You didn't say what type gun you are using, is it a m93 or m98 or ??
    [?]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    My Brazilian does best with 140 grain bullets. I thought it would do best with heavier ones, but you never know; buy a batch of a few types and try a few powders using reputable load data.

What type of gun is it?
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load for an 1895 Chilian mauser and it needs at least a 175 gr bullet to stabilize.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My older Ruger M77 liked the 145 gr bullets and 4350 powder. It was best at about 2775 fps and did everything that I ever asked of it. It is one of my favorite calibers.
  • SecurityProSecurityPro Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wtroper
    My older Ruger M77 liked the 145 gr bullets and 4350 powder. It was best at about 2775 fps and did everything that I ever asked of it. It is one of my favorite calibers.

Funny but mine was just the reversed. I wonder what the twist was in your rifle and if they ever changed it because the lighter bullets were more popular
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pearyw
    I load for an 1891 Argentine carbine and it needs at least a 175 gr bullet to stabilize.
    I also find that my Argentine carbine requires a heavy bullet to stabilize; or more to the point, one with a large bearing surface that fills the throat. Of course, it is in 7.65X53 Mauser, not 7X57.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SecurityPro--

I do not remember the twist in the M77. However, it was one made back in the 70's. If Ruger changed the twist later, I was not aware of the change. In the rifle, I originally wanted to shoot the 160s. They did not group well. I moved down -- all the way to 120s?-- I think (its been years ago). The 145s did the best.