In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder Dispenser - Lyman DPS 2 - Round 2

Exchanged original for another. Will let everybody know by this weekend on the outcome.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    From reading all of the reviews and talking to quite a few folks, the RCBS is the best on the market right now...followed by the Pact. hope this helps

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been an RCBS fan my whole life and have only owned RCBS stuff for reloading, but ( there's always a big but ) when it came to powder dispenser/ measure/ scale whatever I did buy a Lyman 1200 and I am extremely happy with it. I can really recommend this one, absolutely no trouble with it, some people have a hard time with the 30 min warm-up but I just schedule around it, usually when I start priming my brass I plug it in and when I'm done with the primers I am ready to measure/ dispense powder.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    testing performed by some benchrest sites gave the nod to the RCBS 1500 combo.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    From reading all of the reviews and talking to quite a few folks, the RCBS is the best on the market right now...followed by the Pact. hope this helps

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

Forgot to mention...the RCBS is supposed to be the fastest as well.

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the upgraded PACT combo and it is dead nutz and very fast, I hear the RCBS unit is quite impressive. Keep in mind, RCBS scales are made by PACT, not by RCBS.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    So far...this is what I have narrowed it down to.

RCBS Chargemaster 1500 - 239.99 @ natchezss.com
    Lyman DPS II 219.00 @ Cabelas (will have to pay tax on this - add $16)

Decisions...decisions....
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would skip the lyman for the pact and possibly the pact for the rcbs. If those are your only 2 choices, I would go for the rcbs.

however, you REALLY should check this out right NOW!!!!!!

http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=002816

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a RCBS and have never had much trouble with it. I did have one small problem with ball powder(W748) that has a habit of migrating into the orfices of the tubes and stopping or slowing them down but the solution is simple--take a pair of needle nosed pliers and pull the spring loaded tubes out a little and let them go. This clears the powder dust or granules from the orfices and its ready to roll again. I really like mine. The last iformation that I had said that the RCBS was made by Pact. Don't know whether they still are though.
  • CHAIRMAKERCHAIRMAKER Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I posted once before, I have had two Lyman 1200s, one went bad in about 6 months, the other would not dispense powder when it came out of the box. Called Lyman and followed their 'troubleshooting', no help. Bought a PACT, quite happy. Easier to clear/clean out powder than the Lyman as the dispenser and scale are seperate units.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS 1500 HANDS DOWN!

I had mine for almost 4 months now and have loaded up to 250 shells in one session with out re-calibration.

Out of 100 drops it went over .2gn 3 times. The rest of the time it was dead on.

It drops 71gn of RL22 in 18.5 seconds on average.

I use to have a PACT and I sold it because it was VERY temp sensitive. I load in the garage and it is lit with fluorescent lighting and that seemed to mess with the communication between the powder drop and scale. The two units communicate via IR.

The PACT unit was also very TEMP sensitive. Cold or hot reloading rooms will mess with the accuracy.

IMO the RCBS 1500 is the best powder drop and weighing system for the money.
    edited November -1
    But if you really want to read a good write up on this unit there is one at 6BR.com, they are mainly BR shooters and we all know how * they are about their precision. [:D]
    edited November -1
    On the trip home, I stopped by Cabelas. I ended up purchasing a Lyman DPS II for 175.00 - it was in the bargain cave, as a return. These are on sale for 219.00, so, I figured with the extra $44 off..the purchase was worth it.

I will let everybody know how this adventure turns out. Thanks for the info.
    edited November -1
    Looks like this powder dispenser will be going back.

Turned the unit on yesterday, went through the warmup cycle (30 minutes), calibrated the scale, zeroed, & zeroed again.

I dropped 35 charges, approximately 25 in the 25.6 grain and 10 in the 71.1 grain amount.

The amount dropped is all over the place....from 0.3 grains light to 0.2 grains heavy.

Decisions, decisions.....again.

Probably return it and get an RCBS.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    Looks like this powder dispenser will be going back.

Turned the unit on yesterday, went through the warmup cycle (30 minutes), calibrated the scale, zeroed, & zeroed again.

I dropped 35 charges, approximately 25 in the 25.6 grain and 10 in the 71.1 grain amount.

The amount dropped is all over the place....from 0.3 grains light to 0.2 grains heavy.

Decisions, decisions.....again.

Probably return it and get an RCBS.

most of the time, it does not pay to go cheap...that's been my experience anyway.

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

edited November -1
    DCLOCO,

You may want to check out Midsouth Shooter Supply, the last time I checked they had the best prices on the RCBS 1500 Combo.

I think you will like the RCBS a lot more. I dropped 50 charges this AM with no warm up, all charges dead nuts.
  • rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco you might check out the pact sight i bought one last week for 199 dilvered to the door. that was the scale and despencer combo. the despencer is the updated one faster and the scale is the uptated one for more grains. you can do the 50 bmg with it now. I absloutly love it. and remember pact makes the rcbs.
    edited November -1
    The PACT is not the RCBS 1500. Two different systems.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    most of the time, it does not pay to go cheap...that's been my experience anyway.

If you hunt around for the best price, all three end up at about the same price....in the $220 neighborhood. If Cabela's would have had the dispenser and scale in the "cave", I would have purchased RCBS or Pact instead of the Lyman.

I took a chance and kept $44 in my pocket...and paid the price. :)

But, I will take it back and try another brand. This one is defective, no doubt about it.

Thanks to everybody for the help.
  • DEPDEP Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the RCBS 1500 combo for about 6 months now, and am very happy with it. I load for big bores, it takes about 50 secs for a 100 grain load of the IMR powders, so I just adjust sequence (seat bullet while I wait for the next charge). At 80 to 100 grains, I don't worry about .1 grain variance, and the RE series seem to meter faster. It does not seem unduly temp sensitive, and it is stored in a cold porch (maybe 40 degrees, min). I have nothing but good things to say about RCBS tech suport, and their customer assistence has been outstanding (usually, We'll have it in the mail today, no charge). I have used Lyman products over the last 30 years without complaint, so can't say if theirs is better or worse, only I have been very happy with the 1500. And I started in 71, so am considered "old school". Welcome to the digital world.
    edited November -1
    DEP...thanks for the insight.

I load everything from 357 magnum, 44 magnum, 45 ACP, 223 (bull barrel for long range varminting), 6.5x55, 270, 7.5x55, & 300 Win Magnum.

On the smaller calibers and the pistols...it makes a big difference, or at least it might.

On the other side of the coin, I paid 200 bucks for an item that should be accurate. Kind of what I expect when I purchase this type of item for what we do with them. I guess, it could only kill me...right?
    edited November -1
    Metered 130 cases last night with the DPS II. Approximately one out of every 14 were on the money. The rest, either over or under.

Of note, I had to set the amount to be metered at 0.2 grain under desired amount. Example - want 21.0, set dispenser for 20.8.

Oh well....probably got the Monday or Friday model.
  • 2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS charge master,,,,well worth the extra $
    I love mine,,easy to change powder and very fast and accurate.

2b
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    (Pfsst! dcloco. Just dispensed #60 .45-70 loads - flawlessly -
    will keep you updated![:D])
    edited November -1
    zipperzap = mean person! LOL!

Better keep that dispenser under lock & key....there will still be one there in the morning....it will look jjjjuuuuuust like the one you have now....but...hehehe....it will not throw accurate charges! LOL!

Glad it is working out for you.

I am debating on exchanging this one for another Lyman DPS II or going with the RCBS.
    edited November -1
    Update. Loaded 50 rounds for a friend's 270 Winchester. This powder dispenser dumps exactly 0.1 grain heavy, every time. So, set the meter up for 0.1 light, double check, and go.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Yep!

I have no past experience with auto-dispensers so I can't really
    do any comparisons BUT except when the cat tippy toed across the
    table during a count down in dispensing mode it's been absolutely
    perfect - each and every time, to the exact measure.

Can't ask for more than that. Now, if it lasts for a few years,
    we'll be happy![:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Zipper...that is actually funny.

Our cat is foreboden on the table...but...I think he pretty much does what he wants when we are gone...and does not tell about it either.
    edited November -1
    Round two ended yesterday.....now have an RCBS green machine on the counter.