In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shotgun reloading

lynx_strifelynx_strife Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
Any options on best reloading press for 16 and 20 gauge shotgun?

Comments

• lynx_strifelynx_strife Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking into doing my own reloading for my .12ga and was woundering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a reloading press and all that. And some books would be great!
  • lynx_strifelynx_strife Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After the equipment is bought and paid for and the hulls accumulated-How much would it cost to reload a box of 20 ga trap loads. I can buy loaded rounds for $3.50 a box right now. I just bought a new gun and probably will put about 1000 rnds a year through it. What can I expect to load a box of light trap loads 20 ga for?
    Dave
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    A MEC single stage press and Lyman shotshell Loading manual.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do yourself a favor and get a copy of the Lyman Shotshell reloading manual and read it front to back before buying your equipment. It will answer most any question you have about the process and give you some options on types of reloading presses, types of hulls, etc. -- You'll be glad you did [^].
    Some sources for "stuff" :
    www.natchezss.com
    www.midsouthshooters.com
    www.midwayusa.com

Good Luck..........
  • macabestmacabest Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lynx,
    I got a book called 'Reloading for Shootgunners'. By Falkner and McPherson. It's a good begining. Lots of good information. Probably more than you wanted to know.. There is also load info in there too.
    I got a MEC 600 jr. single stage press. It's $102.99 on Midway.
    Does the job well. It was used so it was pretty well setup when I got it. On their web site you can download the owners manual and check ti out ahead of time.
    I do cowboy shooting so I only use a box or so a weekend.. I know a guy at my club that loads tons of shells on that press.
    Good luck..
    Marc[8D]
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first shotshell reloading press was a Lee and I wasn't very happy with it as it tended not to crimp very well. I later bought a MEC single stage press and used it for several years. I then started shoting skeet and trap. When you shoot 2 or 3 hundred shells a weekend then the single stage press turns into work. I bought a MEC Grabber and things got a lot easier. It doesn't load any better shells than the single stage--it just does it easier and faster. The Dillon, RCBS were not available back then and I have no experience with them.