In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BEST SOURCES FOR 7.62x39 AMMO AND RELOAD COMPONENT

I want to thank all those members who provided me with help regarding reloadong sources for my 9mm's.

Now I am waiting for delivery of my SKS and starting to search for ammo and related brass and bullet components.

Any sugestions or tips that anone would be willing to educate me on would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

Comments

• steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SKS is .310/.311 Dia. bullet. A .308 dia. bullet will be safe to shoot. Only your rife knows if it likes the .308 or the larger .310/.311 in the accuracy dept.

Winchester, Lapua, IMI and Fed Brass are all large rifle primers. Remington uses Small Rifle primers.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die when loading for auto-loaders.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=285209

A Full Length sizing die is required for auto's like the SKS.. RCBS dies come with both a .308 and a .310 expander ball. Make sure you use the right one for your bullet dia.
  • TonybagadonutsTonybagadonuts Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I.ve been researching wolf ammo. Is it as bad as many seem to say? I am looking to plink some off to get a feel for the weapon. It is real tempting @ .16 per rnd. Have you had any experience with wolf ammo?
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tony- Wolf is about the same quality as the military ammo the SKS was designed for. It should do fine in your SKS. It is NOT target ammo. But frankly, the SKS is what I consider a target rifle! Most milsurp type ammo is not reloadable- wrong primer. Just got a sale flyer from aimsurplus.com. they are selling Wolf 7.62x39 for $159.95 + shipping for 1,000 rds. Me, I save my reloading time for ammo that I want really high quality.
  • TonybagadonutsTonybagadonuts Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks 11b6r,

I'll follow your advice and order a case.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    www.midwayusa.com or www.grafs.com for components; while wolf has gone up in price lately, it is still cheaper than a reload, unless you can get your brass or bullets for free (range pick up or casting in my case). Then reloading is the way to go.