In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

which scope?

Do any of you have a opinion on any of these scopes? I am putting one of them on a Varmit rig and wanted your help chosing.
Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
Mil-Dot
1"
Side Focus
Target Knobs
Etched Glass
$799.95

Meopta 4-16x44 Meostar R1 30mm Rifle Scope
Matte
Mil-Dot
30mm
$779.95

Bushnell 6-24x40 Elite 4200
Matte
Mil-Dot
1"
Side Focus
$488.95

Thanks, catt_tracker

Comments

• scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put the Bushnell Elite 4200 on my 257 mag last year for chuck. It's a great scope. Crisp and clean.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    catt_tracker,

I have a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and I love it. I also looked at some of the top end Meopta(they build the conquests by the way) and was really impressed. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the market for a scope at that time or I could have had one for about $150.00 less than what you can buy them elsewhere. Otherwise, I would have bought it.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy an IOR and be done with it.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are all pretty good scopes. Of those you listed I'd go with the Zeiss myself.
    If I was going to spend in that price range though I'd take a look at the Burris Black Diamond scopes. Great Varmit scopes.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Elite 4200 on a praire dog rig and I have gotten compliments from shooters with more expensive scopes on the clarity and crispness edge to edge. Kind of a "Gee I wish I woud'a checked this one out first" approach. I am very happy to say the least.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Catt Tracker,

What do you want in a scope?

Price range?

Target knobs?

Specific Reticle?

Power range?

What will it be used for? Target or shooting lil critters far away?

Objective size?

I'd stick with Leupold, Nightforce, and Nikon.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater 6-24x56 mil dot with 30 mm tube (0.200 larger than a 1" tube).

10 minutes ago, from my driveway, 385 yards away (I lasered the range), could CLEARLY read the 4" or 5" letters (blue with white outline characters) on a neighbor lady standing in her doorway. in the dark...WITH the sunshade on. Only light - from behind her in the doorway, and two of the pink/orange streetlights.

1/8" adjustments, side saddle focus (side parallax adjustment), quick adjust eye focus, FULLY MULTI COATED grade A lenses.....did I say I was impressed??!!??? For $219! I also purchased a set of high, Weaver style rings. Equally impressed with these as well.

http://www.nikkostirling.com/Content/Riflescopes.htm

Distributed by:

http://www.legacysports.com/nikkostirling/index.htm
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
  • catt_trackercatt_tracker Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you want in a scope?
    Good glass, Enough elevation to get to 1000
    Price range?
    Target knobs?
    yes
    Specific Reticle?
    Mildot
    Power range?
    at least 16x
    What will it be used for? Target or shooting lil critters far away?
    Paper and coyotes
    Objective size?
    40 -44 range don't want to have to use high rings
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy at the range I visit just bought a Bosch and Lomb(sp) 6-24(or something like that)x40 scope used in great shape for $250. Put it on a Ruger M77 in 22-250. Really nice set up.

Zeiss Conquest Scopes

Shepard Riflescopes

I know you may be wary, but I bought a Barska IR riflescope a little while ago. Man, what a great value scope it is. Multi-coated optics, parralax adjustment, monotube construction. The Illuminated reticle is awesome.

Here is a link .... Definitely look at one before you drop $800 on a scope. I think you'll be pleased.

6-24x44 IR Mil Dot for $250
    or a 10-40x50 IR Mil Dot for $350

The scope I bough is a 50mm, a set of medium height Burris rings are just the ticket. There is about a 1mm gap between the rifle and scope.

Barska Swat Riflescope
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • ironquackerironquacker Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a Tasco 6x24 50 mm 0n my 22-250 and I am shooting out to 850 hitting chucks.Paid I think 225.00.I had trouble figuring what to put on the rifle a friend told me to ty it and I am not dissatisfied.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Catt-Tracker,

Leupold Mark 4 or VX-III Tactical LR (older mark 4)

6-20X 50mm

Mil-Dot

Plenty to get you out to 1K without any issues.

They have M1 target knobs 1/4moa adjustments

Just shop around.

And no matter what people may try to tell you, cheap glass is cheap glass. There is no MAGICAL way to make good glass except to make it right, and making it right is not cheap.

Another option would be the Nikon Tactical.
    4-16X, they can also be found for around 800.00