In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700 vs savage 10fp??????

jdcrgcjdcrgc Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
Going to buy a new rifle in a few days, need some advice. Remington's 700 sps tactical in 308 20" barrel or the Savage 10fp in 308 20" barrel,
Which one is the best, money aside. And is the 20" barrel a bad choice over the 24"????????

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jdcrgc,

I'd take the Savage hands down. I know Remington touts the 700's as the best, but I've found differently of the last few years. Remington 700's will shoot well, but not as well as the newer Savage bolt action rifles.

Edit:

If you think you might want to trade it in then get the Remington. They hold their value better. Even though I may personally feel the shooting ability is what should get the credit.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I own 9 Rem 700's so you can guess what my oppinion is
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I sold the Savage I had and bought a 700 PSS-LTR, If that tells you anything.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    My $.02 goes to the Savage. The reason for this is that you will have the accuracy that you desire along with a great trigger. I have been a Remington shooter for 30 years and I still do a ton of work on the Remington's. The currently manufactured m-700 is a poor imatation of the m-700 made just a few shor years ago. The fit and finish have gone to hell, they have turned a great trigger into a joke as it is almost non-adjustable, and after installing 30 scopes per week on all types of rifles I have not seen a M-700 that the scope mounting holes are properly aligned in over 3 years. Savage gets my business as they do not have those problems.
  • UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just the opposite.

I tried the new savage 204 as it looked like the cats whiskers.

It would not shoot inside 1" at 100 yds and got worse with every shot.
    When I tried to clean it, no matter what I did or how many patches I ran through the barrel, it came out black, black.
    Finally called Sav. and they said send er back. Got it back with new barrel and supposed to be accurized. Said so in the accompanying letter. Absolutely no difference. Would not shoot inside 1 to 3" first shot and worse as it went.

Sent it back for refund, went to pawn shop and purchased mod 700, 204 they had on the shelf, and it will shoot with my brother and my son's 223 and 22-250 all day long. Out of the box, the most accurate rifle and caliber I have shot in a while. I am actually quite surprised at the accuracy shooting Prairie dogs in the Wy wind. 200 to 250 yds absolutely smoked em every shot.

While I had the Savage I asked one of the better gunsmiths to take a look at it, "he will not work on Savage", period. WHAT!!!

anyway, first try with a newer Savage and they broke me of sucking eggs all at one sitting.

My .02

UF
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience has been exactly like Mk 19.Remingtons quality has gone down hill fast in the last few years.Their quality is as bad as their customer service has always been.Too many good rifle makers around for me to ever buy another Remington.
  • rem300ultrarem300ultra Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would choose the Remington. I've had nothing but good luck with them.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't bought any new Remingtons for 20+ years so I don't know about current quality. If you are a home tinkerer like I am, the Savage allows barrel changes w/o going to a shop. I don't care for the new accu-trigger---just my preference. I fought the old Savage triggers for years and replaced several to achieve what I thought was a useable rifle. I've always felt the Savage barrels were not up to the level of Remingtons for whatever reasons. Rough bores are my main complaint with Savage. We have one Savage 308 heavy barrel that I've run over 100 fmj's through cleaning after each shot just trying to smooth it enough to actually shoot.