In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading 30-06--HELP!!!!!

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
I am new to reloading (relatively), and doing 30-06 shells. I de-primed the casings, tumbled them, then I sized the casings to length. I primed them, put in the powder, put in the bullet, and crimped. The book "Modern Reloading" Richard Lee has the Min. OAL at 3.300. Mine are 3.248. I was concerned about the difference, so I measured some NEW FACTORY SHELLS. They turned out to be 3.130 to 3.190. The bullets have the crimp groove. Should I be concerned with the OAL? I have loaded many .243, and .222, with no problem, and was impressed with the accuracy of handloads.
Thank you in advance, Mike

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You don't say what gun you are reloading for. If the round chambers OK, I wouldn't worry about it. You are only .052 shorter the LEE book calls for.
    Measure a few of the bullets and see how much difference there is in them. You will get some difference just in each bullet length.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few more questions 1st, same exact bullet as manual, starting low with powder and working up?

If that's all correct and the bullets are not contacting the rifling you should be okay.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should not be necessary to crimp. I don't believe I've EVER crimped a .30/06 cartridge for any of the 32 rifles I have in that chambering. The crimp groove in your bullets may not be in the right place for your cartridge anyway--just think of all the different 30 caliber cartridges there are. If the crimp groove is in the right place for the .300 Savage or the .308 Winchester, it probably won't be right for the .300 Winchester Magnum or the .300 Weatherby. I just ignore the crimp groove and usually seat the bullet just off the lands or so it just fits the magazine.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they function properly then the crimp grove does not really matter as others have said. But if you don't seat them to the crimp grove and leave it visible, expect to get some ribbing over you 'improperly loaded funny looking rounds' from fellow shooters.
  • mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all. I didn't know the crimp ridge didn't matter. Mike
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The crimp groove DOES matter if you are shooting a SEMI-AUTO [;)]
  • mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are for a 7600, and a mauser bolt action. Thank you again, Mike