In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

300 weatherby reload info

Does any body have a good load for 300 weatherby using Rl22 with a nosler 180 gr. ballistic tip? That can get up around 3250fps

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's an awfully optimistic goal. It would take a very hot and possibly unsafe load to get that velocity with a 180gr bullet in a factory standard 26" bbl. Might be possible with a tighter chambered match/target bbl that is 28-30" long. Noslers Manual uses a Lija 26" pressure test bbl that will clock faster than any factory bbl you'll find and their maximum load with RL22 only clocks 3132fps. -- I use to load IMR7828 powder with a 180gr Nosler Partition to maximum levels for my gun and got close to 3200fps, but that was about it. -- FYI -- Noslers manual lists the 300 Weatherby with a Remington case,Federal 215 primer & RL22 powder as starting at 76.0grs ( 2945fps ) & maximum load at 80.0grs ( 3132fps ). -- Good luck and be carefull.........[8D]
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info. Weatherby advertises thier 180 ballistic tip at 3250 but that is also with mrp powder and who actually knows what they really put in it.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes the velocity that they publish is from very long pressure test bbls in a lab. You can't get that pressure/ velocity from a factory bbl on a rifle. -- They advertise their 30-378 magnum at 3450fps with a 180gr bullet. I have a friend who has two of them that I've done alot of handloading for and they don't clock anywhere near that fast no matter what powder you use, and they have 28" bbls from the factory. -- Just my .02..............
    edited November -1
    that is nice to know guess i always thought that they would just use a stock gun since that is what they sell But it does make sense what you say
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you notice, most every load manual uses match grade barrels for their testing, so one must take that into account when trying to acheive the same results in thier own rifles.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chester,

I replied on your other thread a couple of times but I thought that this belonged here as a discussion of loading information.

I am a big supporter of the Norma line of powders but when the supply dried up, many of us were forced to experiment with other types of powder in order to keep shooting. The .300 Weatherby has the basic need for slower powders and consistant burning in longer barrels to achieve the highest velocities. But powders that are too slow have their own set of problems so the trick is to find the ones with the balance of complete burning and reasonable heat at reasonable pressures.

Some of the others may disagree but I like to use Re-25 instead of the Re-22 for the reason of consistancy if for nothing else. It burns clean and operates at a slightly lower heat and pressure than the Re-22 does. You will use a bit more powder than the Re-22 but once you get up to a case the size of the Weatherby, that's to be expected.

Other powders to consider are:

IMR-7828

H-1000

V V N-165

Ramshot Magnum

I've had good loads from the V V N-165 but the velocities are a little slower than with the Re-25 powder, albeit with very low heat production when compared to the other powders. All in all, it's a real good alternative.

Best.
    edited November -1
    Thanks you guys have been great help. I will also try re-25 got to do something I love to shoot my 300 but who can afford $43 a box for weatherby loads! Maybe I should get a .223 or something a little cheaper to shoot but I still love those big magnums