In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

vertical string of 243 pistol loads

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I loaded some 55 gr Nosler BT's over 41 grains of IMR 4895 in a .243 Winchester. The loads produced a nice consistent Chronograph result of just under 3,000 FPS in the 15" Encore barrel. The group was ten shots. SD was 20.43.

The group was 3/8" wide by 3" tall at 100 yards.

Should I mess with seating depth or powder charge to try and get better results and round the group out. I'd like to get this bullet to shoot, it seems like a crow killer for sure.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO I have never seen a load with the small SD that yours has give vertical stringing but rather the stringing is in the gun itself or method of testing . This is not to point a finger at You as I have read many of your post and know you to be an experienced shooter. But rather it sounds like the gun . I don't have ANY experience with the pistol you have but Could the BEDDING to the forearm or lockup of the barrel to action be different then other barrels on this same frame? and is the fireing pin hammer the same as you have used with other barrels on this frame. I have had this same type group from a BOUNCE of the barrel. The other cause was HARMONIC of a thin wipey barrel but dont believe a 14 inch barrel could do this. Cheers Karl
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might try a different primer too............
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once read that vertical stringing in a Contender could be caused by having the Butt of the grip resting on a solid surface. I did experience this with my Contender in 35Rem.

Just my $0.02
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think dg101win has it right.rest the pistol firmly without the heel of the grip touching anything and see if it still has the problem.
    what happens is the heel digs in a little differently from shot to shot.this loading has very little recoil but the elevation of the barrel in recoil is still altered by the heel friction.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Vertical stringing is a absolute fact if you have the butt of a Contender, or a Encore resting on anything but air. Sand bag it good and tight just in front of the trigger guard, and let the butt do as it chooses.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it does it without the grip touching the bench, then it is a powder charge issue. We always check a load at longer distance just to be sure it doesn't produce vertical stringing after some ground has passed underneath.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel getting hot?
    JM
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Are you useing CCI Primers??[V][V][xx(][:(!] their great for vertial string.