In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

This will be my last shotgun. Best Auto?

My health and eyesight is failing from severe diabetes. I'm also a little tore-up from injuries. I'll probably be able to hunt with my 4 sons for 2 years at the most.

I just sold a few things and decided to buy a semi-auto to replace my wonderful old A-5 I lost in Katrina. I was kinda wanting a Bennelli or a Baretta? But, any GOOD semi-auto would be OK. It's been so long since I bought a shotgun, I don't even know what's GOOD anymore.

Does anyone out there have a semi-auto to sell? I'm not much on cosmetics. Scratches-n-stuff don't much matter. You shouldda seen my old 1954 A-5! It shot as well as the day I bought it though.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigoledude,

Offers to buy, sell or trade are not allowed on the forums. Please read the forum Posting Guidelines.

Best.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep checking this site. I recently sold a nice A-5 belgium that was unmessed with for $469.00 on this site. I only had one bidder and that was my starting price.

I sold another about a year ago that had been reblued and had synthetic stock for about the same.

I think you could look at the Remington 1100's if you don't have the need to shoot 3 inch magnums. I have seen some here go for under $400.

The Remington should work good for you as long as you don't let it get too dirty or very cold. I have had my 1187 get sluggish when shooting waterfowl in below-freezing temps here in Michigan. If you hunt in the south, I don't think it would be an issue.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bennelli anything
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get an old winchester super x model one. best semi auto shotgun ever made.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 1100 is the way to go. Will shoot anything you put through it from light skeet to heavy buckshot loads. Easy to clean and maintain. Can't go wrong.
  • akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning Gold Hunter, shot friends, great gun
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the Browning. Based on your description of yourself, you aren't looking for a hard recoiling gun. That rules out any of the lighter guns (such as the Benelli or Remington 1100) if you plan on shooting anything other than light skeet loads. The Browning is gas-operated and a little heavier than the others. I have 2 (a 12 and a 20) and I love them both. They are very comfortable to shoot and will take any punsishment that you can dish out. Plus, you can pick up a good used one for between $500-$700.
    All of that being said, my other advise is to handle as many as you can before buying and then get the one that is most comfortable to mount to your shoulder. It will help you shoot better and will also improve felt recoil.
  • laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning Gold is heavy, at your age may be a pain, and slow to mount. Benellis are awesome but do kick, and hard to justify expense for 2 years of use--unless you want to pass it on to your kids. Personally I love my beretta 390, some are still around and for less than new 391 model.

enjoy the rest of your hunting, and especially w kids!
  • eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 1100 is about the softest shooting 12 gauge I've ever shot. Benellis are nicer for competition, since there are not as many small parts to break, but they kick like a mule.

Stick with the 1100.