In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anybody use a Dillon 550 or 650?

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
I'm thinking about buying a XL650 but want to make sure I don't have to keep making adjustments every time I want to reload.

Any experience with these?
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Just get a die and shell plate for each caliber you reload, and lock the dies down. When you change them they are set [:D]
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a 550B and have used a XL650. I used to run a shop where we were Dillon dealers. Just get a tool head for each caliber and once they are set it won't change. You will have to have a caliber conversion for each caliber. The 650 is a great machine and the warranty is second to none. The case feeder is a great asset to have. Good Choice.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Yup; good stuff.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    600 rounds of QUALITY 223 per hour...on a 550B.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's certainly hard to find a used XL650. [:(]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine had lots of problems with his 650. The Primer feed is not as good as the 550, and he had detonations. after several rebuilds, including at least one done at Dillon he finally boxed it up and traded it back to Dillon for a second 550.

The Hornady Lock and Load Progressive Press is a better press than the Dillon 650. the Indexing Mechanism of the Hornady is made of steel, rather than Plastic, and the Primer feed is the same as on the Dillon 550.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll check out the Hornady Lock and Load Progressive Press when I get to Cabela's next month.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    The other great thing about the Hornady L-N-L AP is that until December 31st they are giving away free bullets with the purchase. 1000 free bullets with the AP. With today's bullet prices, it makes it a pretty good deal.