In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

748 question...

HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
What is the maximum you can safely load of 748 in a .308 case with a 150 grain bullet?

Comments

• 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Hornady shows a max load of 46.7 gr.
  • HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks! I was getting some variation in my powder measure, +/- .5gr or so. Hodgen says 43 is max load. Should be ok then.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the bullet maker's data as your primary source. There are many more factors than weight that influence the pressure. Two bullets of the same weight but different construction can have maximum charge weights several grains apart.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Bullet is Remington 150gr soft point with canellure(sp?). Not boat tail.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh. As Mr Remmie doesn't provide load data for that (excellent) bullet, then you'll have to use the next closest in shape and other details. Two very close cup-and-core bullets are the Hornady 150 and the Speer 150. The Speer lacks a cannelure, but is otherwise very close.

I load the Hornady (Stock #3031). It is one of my favorite deer bullets and has never failed to deliver one-shot DRT kills. Hornady lists about 42 grains of W748 as the Start load and 48.4 as maximum. (Hornady brass and Fed 210 primers) They say W748 is one of the best powders in the .308 and I agree.

I use 47.0 as my own load. It is very accurate.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    46.7 gr works for me!
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys! All I had was a Hodgen Powders guide. Said to load 43gr, didn't give maximum though.[:I]