In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need advice : Best 357 mag Lever Action

clownboyclownboy Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
I have been looking these over for awhile and am leaning towards the Marlin 1894CSS. Since I never handled one I thought I should ask the experts here.

My desire is to get a very nice looking, best shooting, and reliable lever action. I have opted to go with the 357 Mag because I could also shoot 38's and am already set up to reload them.

Can those with knowledge about them direct me in the type of rifle I am looking for? Maybe add some pro's and cons for me to think about. And maybe even tell me how accurate these might be?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Comments

• gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've got a Win94 Trapper in .357 that shoots very well until I try to feed it 38Specials. I have a PDPII red dot mounted, a wintuff stock (the wood one was too nice to leave on there), a 1-point sling around the pistol grip, and a large loop from a Marlin.
    I haven't shot any other levers in that caliber, but I have in 30-30; and all I can say is that the Winnies have been smoother, ejected smartly, and loaded as fast as any of the others.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I like the Marlin.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin in 45colt,love it
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Marlin 1894 is the way to go [;)]
  • clownboyclownboy Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guy's Means a lot to hear from you who have experience on these.

Best.

Brad
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to work very hard to shoot the 1894C poorly. Very accurate with stock iron sights. When I first picked it up it felt like a BB gun, but it's quickly become my favorite rifle. I have the 357 mag. You might want to look into the "marlin jamb" over on marlinowners dot com, but I've not experienced any issues with feeding the 1894.
    I've also shot a Winchester 94 and it was a very solid rifle. Just didn't have it long enough to share any details other than it was very smooth operating and accurate.
    Either choice is good, go with what you like the best.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've owned .357 carbines in the form of the Marlin, the Browning '92, and the Winchester '94 'Trail's End'. I thought the '92 was the best. The Marlin wouldn't feed .38 wadcutters, but was otherwise a good gun. The Winchester was just too loosely made, as the side-wobble in the lever/link system was so bad that I pinched the inside of my fingers between the lever and the bottom tang every time I worked the action.

I like the .357 as a carbine cartridge, and I would actually like to see the .357 Maximum reintroduced as a carbine cartridge.

I also think a real sales potential may lie in a lever carbine chambered for the .500 S&W.

Which also leads me to think of an SA revolver with interchangeable cylinders in .32-20, .32 H&R Mag, .32 auto, 7.62 Tokarev, and anything else that's close. But now, I'm bending the thread way too far.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay away from the Rossi 1892 copies. As much as the '92 is about the perfect size for this caliber, my version wouldn't feed with anything I fed it, both .357 or .38. The 'smith at Walker '47 in Fullerton, Ca. said action jobs to get Rossi's to feed are a very popular item. Even after the action job it was balky, so I sold it off. I want another .357 lever gun, but since the twins came along last year money's a bit tight right now.

I have a Win '94 Trapper in .44 Mag and a '94 Legacy 26" bbl in .45 Colt and love them. I also have the 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 and a 336 in .35 Rem, so I bet if the Marlin pistol caliber rifle is as nice as these are you'll be thrilled.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Marlin is a far better gun than the Winchester or any Winchester copy. They always have been. Back in the day, Winchester sold more guns than Marlin but not because they were better. Winchester had a much larger marketing program and strong armed the dealers.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Winchester 92's that are reissued and made in Japan are the best in class. They are strong enough for 44 Magnum, and smoother than anything out there out of the box...including the Marlin 1894's.

Best

The winchester 92 copies are made by Brownings manufacturer in Japan...Miroku. They are identical to the Brownings.
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hands down best lever .357 is the old Browning 92, if you can find one. They shoot great; they are for sale from time to time and not cheap, but they are as good as the original Win 1892. I have one with a tang sight and one with open sights. Quality, finish, reliability top notch.
  • airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the Winchester or Marlins, but my Rossi 92 has been great. No problems feeding or ejecting, decent offhand accuracy with full house .357 loads, and pretty anemic with .38 special loads, although feeding the .38's was no problem. Haven't shot it enough to make an intelligent comment on durability. It is a nice handling reasonable accurate firearm. I wouldn't feel outclassed to take it deer hunting.
  • slugoslugo Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1894 marlin. I have had several of these. as soon as I let a buddy shoot it they end up buying it and I get another. I usually keep two or three now but currently have only one. Shot a rabbit at 40 yds could only see his head and nearly took it off. even better shot a rampaging cow in the neck obliterated the spinal column and stopped just under the skin on the other side, visible but under the skin. The cow tumbled never to move again. The 38sp are very quiet only a little louder than a .22lr. I gave my brother one to compliment his ruger sp101. Two guns one ammo.[8D]
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1892 repro and a Marlin.

I like the feel of the 1892 better. It handles betters, feels lighter, and points more naturally for me. I feel with the two lugs that lock the bolt that it is probably stronger.

The Marlin is a good rifle, feels a little larger and more solid, but doesn't feel quite as natural. It is a pain in the b**t to clean compared to the 1892, but it does feel a little more solid.

Both could use some slicking up to make them smoother and 100% reliable and there are several shops that do it. Steves Guns comes to mind.

I tend to stay away from the Winchesters 94's. This is a rifle action that was sized down to handle pistol cartridges and half the action comes out everytime you cycle the lever. The throw seems further and takes more effort. It does not slick up like the Marlin or the 1892's.
  • thegoolsthegools Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Slugo,
    Do you still have a 5906? If so I would be interested and can act immediately I hear from you.
    Please let me know. I would be most grateful to hear from you either way. Thanks very much.

Cheers,
    thegools
    Kirk Goolsby
    Warrenton, Va

quote:Originally posted by slugo
    1894 marlin. I have had several of these. as soon as I let a buddy shoot it they end up buying it and I get another. I usually keep two or three now but currently have only one. Shot a rabbit at 40 yds could only see his head and nearly took it off. even better shot a rampaging cow in the neck obliterated the spinal column and stopped just under the skin on the other side, visible but under the skin. The cow tumbled never to move again. The 38sp are very quiet only a little louder than a .22lr. I gave my brother one to compliment his ruger sp101. Two guns one ammo.[8D]
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1892 reproduction and Marline 1894. To me the 1892 is a easier handling and feels smoother. The Marlin feel boxier, but if you want to mount a scope or other sight it is much easier.

The 1892 action is a very strong design and they've chambered 460 S&W and 480 Rugers using this action.
  • airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a .357 Rossi 92 a while back and have had no problems at all. It feeds my handloads perfectly. Pretty anemic with .38's, though.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Browning would be my first choice, second would be Marlin or Winchester.
  • Just Lead JoJust Lead Jo Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Marlin 1894C, and it is a super shooter! Recently considering trading it up for a 1894CSS, but noticed it said 357 mag***. Dealer said he was not sure if it would cycle 38's. Also saw a winchester, but it actually said 357Mag ONLY. I really like to shoot 38's for fun, maybe I am better off with what I already have?
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I bought mine this Spring I was really torn between the Marlin and the Henry. I think the Henry was about $200.00 more. What finally made me go with the Marlin was my intended use. I plan on using it to hunt deer and the idea of subjecting a beautiful Henry to brush, elements, and climbing in and out of a tree stand made me go with a Marlin. I'd be absolutley sick if I put a nice, big scratch in the gorgeous polished receiver of a Henry. Plus who knows, the shine of a Henry might * a deer.
    GH1[:)]