In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do I buy a $20 Base or a $100 Base for my 223

sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
Next week if all goes well I hope to be able to go and pick up my Remington SPS Tactical rifle in 223 Remington. My question relates to the one piece base I want to mount on this rifle. On my Remington 5R 308 rifle I purchased a one piece Ken Farrell Base that cost $ 125.00.... The rings I have on the 5R is the Weaver Xtreme Tactial rings and I have a set for this rifle in hand, thus I must utilize a mount that has the traditional Picatinny Rail system.

With the reduced recoil of the 223 can I get away with utilizing the Weaver one piece base # 48330 at a cost of $ 20.00 or do I need to again spend $100.00 + dollars for the Ken Farrell or Warne milled spec base unit? There seems to be no in-between related to price that I have found...It is either 20 bucks or 100 plus bucks.... Feedback and comments appreciated.....Mark

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would put a pitcanny rail system on it. I think they are the best set ups on the market right now if you want to use the scope on a different rifle. I have never cared for weaver style mounts. Or you could go with a standard scope set up. I just spent $45 on two rifles for rings and bases. Check out midsouth shooters supply they have some pretty good prices on that stuff.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many mount systems between those two extremes. Millett and Leupold make excellent ones, for starters.

You can even mix and match. I personally like a Weaver base with Millett rings.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you planning on using the rifle for a club or throwing it out of an airplane? If not, the moderately priced mounts are fine. I've had bad results with the really cheap imported rings due to out of round or not lining up but name brand rings/bases are all pretty good.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, you could always by my Conetrol rings I have on the auction side right now! [:D] Half price too!
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No the gun will be used for paper varmets and when the oppertunity presents itself crows. The reason for buying the 223 is because I have lots of 223 ammo for my AR's. The reason for my asking about the type of base I should use is because I want to go with a 1 piece base and I would like to use the Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings I currently own. The biggest issue relates to having to use a base that will accept the Pictatinny type Rail system to provide the flexability of scope and ring placement on the 6.5 x 24 x 44 scope I also have in hand...Once mounted and sighted my goal is to not have to remove or replace the base/ring/scope set up... I am 50 years old now and plan on keeping this rifle set up for a very very long time......Mark
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go to www.egw-* and look at his one piece picatinny mounts. They are about $39. And very good.
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Go to www.egw-* and look at his one piece picatinny mounts. They are about $39. And very good.

DCS - Thank you Sir - I just ordered the one piece unit for my 223. This is exactly what I was looking for....Great Price....Thanks again, Mark