In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ruger no 1

I found a ruger no 1 in 25/06 stainless with a laminated stock are these generally a good shooter? only had one other ruger ot was m77 stainless 25/06 and it was junk 2 inch groups at 100 yds but the number 1 seemed to be fairly priced $627. any advice will help

Comments

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The new #1's shoot lots better than the old one's did.
    They hammer forge their barrels instead of using Wilson's.
    Some might need a bit of forearm attention but generally they shoot good out of the box after you have cleaned them really good of course.
  • greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    The new #1's shoot lots better than the old one's did.
    They hammer forge their barrels instead of using Wilson's.
    Some might need a bit of forearm attention but generally they shoot good out of the box after you have cleaned them really good of course.

What do you mean by new? I know that Ruger has made changes in the barrel dept but when? My next rifle is going to be a #1 in 220 Swift. If I can find a used one with nice wood I might pick it up. How will I be able to tell if it has the new barrels or old?
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The Stainless Steel, Laminated models are new to the #1 lineup in the past few years and they have the hammer forged barrels. Not sure when they changed over, but if you find an old one that absolutely will not shoot it's gotta be a wilson barrel. Buy it cheap and rebarrel it if thats the case......