In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

a good one

Im used to shooting ammo that i get at the range and its 230 gn. IS there a big difference if i start to reload 185 gn? i know there is a grain difference but there are a few things i dont understand about reloading. also how do you set the primer in the case ive read the Lee reloading manual a few times and i thought i was ready to start but i cant find any info. Im reloading 45 acp

thank you for your time

Comments

• Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    Also whats the difference between the diamameter

.452" diameter

.451" diameter
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your sizing/decapping die pushes the primer out (and sizes the case).
    You can either push in the primer with a hand tool, or with a press mounted priming tool (this may be as simple as a swing in arm that you place primers in singly, or a fully automatic priming rig).
    The next step is to flare the case mouth, just enough to start the bullet.
    Next you add the powder. LEE allows you to combine these to steps, with their "powder through" die desigh
    Than you set your bullet in place and seat it to the final depth (seating die)
    Finaly you crimp the bullet in place (this also removes any remaining flare).
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were you I'd get another manual and read it as well.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Get a Lyman reloading manual. I think they are one of the best manuals out there. Going from 230gr to 185gr will be a difference in amount of powder. Also check handloads.com and reloadbench.com for some good info.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Also if your gun has fixed sights the point of impact will be lower with the 185gr.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    depending on what type of press you are using to reload, how you seat the primer will be different. you didn't mention what press you're using so whatever it is, read that manual. it will tell you how to seat the primers using your specific equipment as well as how to set up your dies. good luck and +1 on getting an additional reloading manual. powder will vary with bullet weight AND type of bullet. eg. lead will use less powder than a copper jacket. all of the information you need will be in a good manual
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    thanks everyone. i bought Hodgson tite group powder everyone is out of winchester 231, cci primers and hornady 230 gr fmj bullets. My next order will be through powder valley i just wanted to buy a few things so i can start slow.
  • greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a good on-line tutorial w/pics on beginning reloading. Pay attention to the details and follow the rules. Its easy and a enjoyable hobby.
    http://www.reloadbench.com/gloss/guide.html