In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm +P loading

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
I can't find data for +P load on the Hodgen site.
I want to use Titegroup.

I am loading the 115 gr RN.

How do I approach this?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a 10' pole. If you can't find a load listed in one of the manuals, don't try it. Titegroup is a fairly fast powder and could create a high pressure condition with a very small incremental increase. A quick perusal of Hodgdon's and Lyman's manuals does not show ANY +P 9mm loadings. I don't remember seeing such a load in any manual. To my recollection, 9mm+P is a factory designation only.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was my conclusion, but I thought there might be a way to duplicate the factory load. I have looked at several powders and offerings, but, no go.

Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Buy a bigger gun. The only +p ammo I believe in using is 38 special, in a 357 magnum gun.

I use Win 231, and the maximum loads are fairly hot.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    +p 9mm can be duplicated, but not with that powder. You will need a slower burning powder; HS-6, Power Pistol, VV 3N37 should all do the trick without much issue. The better question is why do you feel the need for +P? Only open bolt Sub guns really need it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    +p 9mm can be duplicated, but not with that powder. You will need a slower burning powder; HS-6, Power Pistol, VV 3N37 should all do the trick without much issue. The better question is why do you feel the need for +P? Only open bolt Sub guns really need it.

Thanks for the info!

I don't NEED it...

I just enjoy shooting it!
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    9MM operates with fairly high pressure already, trying to load +P is just asking for trouble. If you really want to shoot +P buy it factory loaded. You can also buy +P+ 9MM, but making sure you can control the firearm is far more important than hitting with an extra 100 fps, a good solid body hit will be much more efective than a +P in the arm or leg or the wall. If you want more power, and can effectively use it, just go to the 40 S&W or the good old 45 ACP.