In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LEE DIES??????

I have used RCBS equipment forever with no problems. I am adding two new handgun calibers (.380 & .40 ) and have ordered Lee Dies due to their price difference when compared to RCBS. Should I cancel this order, and stay with RCBS???? There seems to be more than one reloader that has referred to LEE Dies as JUNK!

Are the LEE Dies junk?

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Lee 4-die sets to load 40S&W and 45acp...I have NO issues with them. my 2 cents
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use them all the time. Work for me.
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have now about 8 Lee die sets among 30 plus, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, etc.; the first ones I bought were for an obsolete caliber (11.15x60R Mauser) that I couldn't at the time get anywhere else. They seemed pretty good at any price, so next time I needed dies I ordered Lee's again. I noticed and liked a huge cost difference in these less-popular calibers over other manufacturers's offerings. They have all been just fine, EXCEPT for the Lee die rings which have an "O" ring to provide anti-turn friction. I find these locking rings unsatisfactory and just replace them with all-metal rings, both with and without set-screw locking, for snug, positive no-move, no-change die settings. The extra all-metal rings are available in many brands from many sources rather inexpensively.
  • smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like the Lee dies I have. I load .45ACP, .40S&W, .38/.357, and .223Rem all on Lee dies.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    They work as well as anyone elses and are cheaper. A no brainer. Until we get up to the bench rest stuff. Even then their collet dies are still in the running.

Regarding the lock rings- I FAR prefer the LEE system to the all metal rings. Nothing like trying to hold the die in place while you tighten some allen screw retainer. Blah! The Lee system works great and requires no tools! But to each his own.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as the Lee lock rings: I put an index mark on the ring and on the die with a magic marker. I keep an adjustable wrench on a hanger under my bench at knee level. Screw the die in, snug it up with the wrench making sure the index marks are aligned. Works as good or better than any other lock ring for me.
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    I've never heard anyone ever refer to LEE dies as junk... I also prefer the o-ring locking system, have never had any issues with dies moving. If anything, the LEE dies are a better value for what you get from other companies simply because they are usually cheaper.
  • kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ditto all the rest have used many lee dies in rifle and pistol no complaints at all
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all of you!!! I will keep my LEE dies on backorder and wait like so many others. I got 8 opinions from LEE users, and all 8 of you can't be wrong!!! Thanks again!
  • rotarymetertecrotarymetertec Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only problem I had with lee was 357 dies. They made the crimp die so long it would not due 38 casings. They use a cheaper maiterial then RCBS but lee has come up with some simple good working tools. They seem to use keep it simple and cheap let the others complicate it.
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Over the years I've used RCBS, Lyman, Herters, CH, Hornady. I have several sets of Lee carbide die sets for various handgun calibers. They seem to do the same thing as all the others. No complaints from me.
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rotarymetertec
    Only problem I had with lee was 357 dies. They made the crimp die so long it would not due 38 casings. They use a cheaper maiterial then RCBS but lee has come up with some simple good working tools. They seem to use keep it simple and cheap let the others complicate it.

Get the 38 Special dies, and you can use them to load both the 357 Magnum, and the 38 Special.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Never had a set of Lee pistol dies that have caused me any problems.... however I have never had a set of lee rifle dies the DIDN"T cause me problems.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have lots of Lee dies - never a problem. I have had several RCBS dies that caused runout trouble. I hate the Hornady bullet seating die!
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my Lee die sets just as much as my RCBS die sets.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    very new to reloading here but i bought some lee dies for the 300 win mag and they have worked very well for me.
  • Easton Archer 66Easton Archer 66 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rotarymetertec
    The Lee .357 Mag die wasn't made to load the .38 Special. You needed to go the other way, buy the .38 dies to load all three, the .38, the .357 Mag., and the .357 Max.
  • Easton Archer 66Easton Archer 66 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used and sold LEE dies since 1985 & have never had to return a set of dies with problems. Still have about 55 sets of rifle dies, with some hard to get calibers left over from when I closed my shop several years ago, should anyone need some oddball caliber set of dies you are looking for, drop me a note to my gmail
    TradArcher66@gmail.com.[;)]