In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

75gr .223 Hornady bthp

I just picked up a hundred of these, having never loaded anything this heavy for my AR, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for overall length? Should I seat them so they just fit/work in the magazine, or as long as I'm over Min. OAL I should be fine? I'm using AA2230, my Lee load date tells me to use 21.6grs (I think, I'm at work atm) on the Accurate Arms website there isn't even load data for using 2230 with a 75gr projectile.. I'm pretty sure I'm using commercial brass, I have never really had any military brass that I know of, how would I know for sure if I have it? Any suggestions, help, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Chris

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hehateme,

Generally speaking you need to find out what twist rate you have in your AR barrel. These bullets, because of their length, need at least a 1:9" twist in order to keep them stabilized. If you have a slower twist I suggest trading them for another, lighter weight, shorter bullet.

Best.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Load them to fit your magazine. Unless you want a single shot AR [:(]
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    My barrel is 1:7, no problems there. I've been loading 55 and 62grs for awhile, very successful. I've just never had the urge to buy anything heavier or longer than 62's. Now that I have some heavier stuff I'm kind of excited to see what I can do. Thanks again.
  • poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going through the same process as you with the 75gr AMax which is a longer bullet than the BTHP. I talked to a bullet tech at Hornady who said the AMax should be single shoted and recommended the 75gr BTHP #2279 for magazine use, so it sounds like you can feed your bullet through the mag. But I haven't used the BTHP, so suggest you talk to the hornady techs (800 338 3220 or 308 382 1390) about OAL and powder. I've been usng 23.8gr of 2520 and an OAL of 2.390" (Single shot) with the 75gr AMax but have shot my best groups with the 80gr AMax ahead of 23.6gr of Varget.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Hornady manual but am at work right now. I believe the BTHP is to mag length and the A-max is single shot only. You may need a different powder for that heavy of bullet. If you have the bullet makers manual it really helps.
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    Skyfish, if you could let me know what kind of data your Hornady manual has on this bullet and aa2230 that would be really great. I have to work this weekend so it will be hard to go out and buy new powder, if I can use my 2230 with the 75gr, that would be ideal. I tried calling Hornady a few mins ago, but they are closed.

Thanks again.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The AA load chart only shows up to 64gr. bullet
    I have a manual that shows a 70gr. with 23gr. 2230.
    You might try 21gr. with your bullets.
    2230 might be a little fast for that weight.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hornady manual does not list loads with AA2230 and a 75 gr A-max. But my Lyman manual does.

Use following data at your own risk:

COL 2.39 for 75gr A-max, SS only, both manuals agree on this.

Lyman AA 2230 start: 20.7 max: 23.0

Varget had least deviation for Lyman's testing.

Hornady liked N-140 1st, AA2495 and N-135 2nd

Hornady data:
    N-140 start: 20.0 max: 23.6
    N-135 start: 19.8 max: 21.8
    AA-2495 Start: 18.2 max 21.8

Good luck. Also The powder loads are slightly less than the 77 gr sierra bthp. I believe the jacket on the Hornady is slightly softer causing pressures to be higher with less powder. So don't use other bullet makers data for Hornady target/match bullets.
  • shoots2muchshoots2much Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found that The 75 grain Hornady HPBTM can be loaded to magazine length. The 75 Hornady A-Max and the 80 grain Sierra can NOT.
    The 75 AMax and 80 grain sierras are usually loaded for 600 yards and single loaded.