In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

static electricity safety

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
this may be a stupid question but the dry and cold weather up here has got it so i dont like to touch anything in the house because i get such a bad shock off of it. is there any danger as to one of those shocks setting off my powder, like when i am adding more to the hopper or something of that sort. i dont know if a static spark would be enough to set it off or not. any experts out there know anything about this.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is recommended to keep your bench OFF of any carpet. Wear shoes when loading, and rub things with a fabric softener sheet (they are anti static)
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Touch something metal to discharge yourself prior to handling powder or flamable liquids. Take the shock like a man, it is much less painful that the burn from powder or gasoline.

Tim
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shootuadeal,

Ground yourself to whatever you are pouring into. Meaning hold the powder measure while pouring into it with the opposite hand. If it gets really bad then I recommend making a conductive chord(bonding strap) and ground yourself to your bench. You can't tie it to your hand as you will be knocking stuff over constantly, but you can tie it to your leg or something.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shootuadeal:
    Guys who repair computers learned long ago that a small static shock could wipe a whole memory system!

Any good electronics store should be able to get you a static table. This will have one or more cuffs or other attachments that will ground you during your reloading session. However you may have to get creative in how you connect yourself to the grounding board so your not knocking everything over!

Good Luck[8D]