In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dessicant in powder can

SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
Since an opened can of powder can draw moisture between uses, does a dessicant pack added to an open powder can make any difference (in storage)? Does it degrade the powder, or benefit the powder, to keep one in the can while in storage[?] I have a bunch of dessicant paks--and was just wondering....Thanks!

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think it would be in the can already if there was a use for it[?]

The dessicant may serve to grab the ether from the powder and speed up deterioration,..but I have no idea.

Good question for the cust svc line at a powder manuf. That would be a nice thing to know.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I never liked the Idea of Bulls-Eye in large containers were just Cardboard. drums and I had no way of knowing where they were stored or conditions that they were subject to during shipping. I had Bunches of one pound bags of Desiccant so I normally get the powder to fill up four or five 50 Cal ammo cans with a one pound bag of the desiccant in each can . One thing I did notice is most powder measures measure by Volume on progressive reloaders like my star . with the powder straight out of a drum 10 cycles weighted 48.1 grains but after one week in one of my desiccanted ammo cans the same powder ten cycles weighted 45.8 grains . I tried this 3 times each with the same results . SO I came to the conclusion that you needed the powder to be at the same state of DRY ness to trust you were getting the same volume. I did this on Match grade 45ACP ammo and .3 grain did make a BIG difference in group size in ransom rest.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have left powder in the measure for 7-10 days w/o noticing any performance problems and my basement is fairly damp. Even running 2 dehumidifiers 12 hours/day doesn't stay ahead of the buildup. I do slip a ziplock bag over the measure and zip it closed around the stand. I would not do this with a flake powder as I think they would absorb moisture quicker. I have never used dessicant in my powder cans directly. I store powder in ammo cans with a dessicant pack and put the canister back in there after filling the measure. I think a stable temperature is more important as the change in temp actually causes the transfer of moist air through a broken seal. It's a big problem with tractors stored in unheated buildings unused all winter. The large amount of metal warming and cooling condenses a lot of moisture inside the housings.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Opened a 1lb can of Schockly's BP Sub. Found a dessicant packet in it.[:)]