In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What kind of Reloading Dies are these ?

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
These came in a box I bought at a local auction. I have been reloading for over 30 years and have never seen anything like these. Any ideas ?

2009_1006ebay0012.jpg

2009_1006ebay0013.jpg

2009_1006ebay0017.jpg

2009_1006ebay0018.jpg
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have seen dies like this used by BENCH REST SHOOTERS you might waqnt to look at Wilson .

EDIT[:I][:I][:I]I don't know what I was thinking threads did not register it just looked like the palm top pusher was something in the cobwebs of my pea brain.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a perfectly good set of bullet swaging dies.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the bullet swaging dies.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    They sure aint Wilsons thats for sure... seeing they don't make threaded dies..
    Bullet swaging dies has my vote...............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bullet swaging is basically a lost art. You used to be able to buy lead wire for the core and cupper cups. I do not know if anybody sells the raw copper materials any more. I have seen lead wire. Had an old timer educate me on the process many years ago. I never developed an interest, since I cast lead bullets my for pistols and rifle bullets are relatively cheap, or they were before the election.
    There are many steps involved in swaging and it is time consuming. One company, made sets of dies that allowed you to use spent 22 rim fire casing in which you could use the spent casings instead of copper cups. The bullets were neat looking and retained the U,W, or whatever the bottom of the 22 case had on the base of the bullet.
    I am sure there are some old timers around that still do this.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    Bullet swaging is basically a lost art. You used to be able to buy lead wire for the core and cupper cups. I do not know if anybody sells the raw copper materials any more. I have seen lead wire. Had an old timer educate me on the process many years ago...

Some of my fondest memories are long, snowy Saturday afternoons with my dad, reloading ammo for the Sterling (CO) PD to practice with. I would've been 8 or 9 years old.

I wish I had that equipment now.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fellow named Bob Corbin made precision rifle bullet swaging dies & presses. He also wrote a book, "Discover Swaging", which I have a copy of around here (somewhere). This was in the 1970s.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richarda
    Fellow named Bob Corbin made precision rifle bullet swaging dies & presses. He also wrote a book, "Discover Swaging", which I have a copy of around here (somewhere). This was in the 1970s.

Thanks for jostling my memory, Corbin made just about everything for swaging and sold had all the raw materials too if I remember correctly. One of my mentors used to swage his own back in the 70s and taught me the basics, but I never picked it up. I don't think RCBS makes bullet swaging equipment any more.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I have 3 or 4 of Corbin's books and I don't see these dies here.
    They sure had top notch equipment, dies, etc.

I saw Dave {I think it was Dave} at the S.H.O.T. show a while back and he offered to sell the .510 600 and 730 grain swaged bullets I was making for me.

They must be out of business now???
  • Options
    waith505waith505 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems your dies are similar to the one on this link http://www.rtconnect.net/~wjmanley/B_A_dies/B_A_ Dies.pdf

They seem to be swaging dies from Biehler & Astles of Rochester, NY
    The 6-22 on the bottom of the die seems to indicate you can swage 6mm bullets from casings from a 22LR. Corbin also sells dies like this, as well as dies to make .224 bullets for the .223 Rem (as well as a number of other 22 centerfires)Corbin is still making swaging dies and presses, their website is Corbin.com