In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rifle Competition Sans NRA?

BriareosBriareos Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
Are there any US organizations dedicated to target competition (rifle; smallbore and high-power) other than the NRA? While I agree with some of their politics, I don't agree with all of them and was curious if there are other...How do I put this..."Neutral" organizations dedicated to rifle marksmanship.

I'm aware of the CMP, but their rifle program only allows for certain types of rifles.

Please don't point out my "newb-ness" if at all possible; I'm new to the competition shooting scene and just want to be involved with something I love to do.

Comments

• PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As near as I can tell, NRA's politics are mainly to promote and preserve gun ownership and shooting. Most all the clubs I belong to and shoot at are NRA affiliated clubs; for trap, skeet, small-bore rifle, high-power rifle, pistol, and sporting clays. Many do not require NRA membership to participate. The only politics I hear at these clubs tend to be against the anti-gun types, those who would make it more difficult or even impossible to participate in shooting sports, no matter what stripe shirts the politicians wear. I am aware that one party tends to bear the most of the slings and arrows nowadays; it wasn't always necessarily so, at least way back in my youth. Maybe that could and should be changed by shooters who belong to that party??
  • BriareosBriareos Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the NRA. I just wanted to see what my options were.

Unfortunately my mother doesn't really like the NRA, for her reasons I suppose.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PA Shootist
    As near as I can tell, NRA's politics are mainly to promote and preserve gun ownership and shooting.

You are teasing right? No really you are teasing I am sure.

NRA is behind the majority of the gun laws on the books starting with the NFA in 1934. If there were no gun laws they would be out of business.

Do some real reading on what the NRA has ACTUALLY done for gun rights and you might yet see.
    edited November -1
    Ahhh, don't steer the topic away from the original one; I actually want to hear what people have to say about it!
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Like many things the NRA has its faults however it does run most shooting matches and more & more of the off shoot groups have joined the NRA in recent years. YES the cowboy SASS and WSASS have shooting events and EVEN COORES & ANHAUSER BUSH has Shutzen fest shooting along with the BENCH REST guys have their own shoots. You can also go to the machine gun shoots in KY twice a year.

EDITFind a Club Where are you located I may be able to help. That run High Power Rifle matches most people shoot the type of rifle you have our club runs a match first Sat. every month.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Briareos: I realize you don't want to get "off the subject." You will find that the strong majority of people on this forum do support the NRA. If you try to stay "neutral" on gun issues you are going to find you won't need to worry about where to shoot!

I won't refer to you as a new-be, and I will answer your question to keep on subject. The NRA is the ONLY organization that I know that offers shooting comp.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be foolish to try try competition shooting without the support of the NRA, they have done it for 150 years and are very good at it. The shooting sports benifit greatly from everything from training to the match rules and regulations established by the NRA. The best way to destroy competitive shooting is to divide and divide again over perceptions. It would be like the INDY car and CART racing, dividing over small issues, missing the big picture. Competitive shooting is NOT about the NRA, it is about safe, fair and well managed competitive shooting disciplines operating under the same rules throughout the country.

I can see where some folks have an issue with the NRA-ILA but that should not cloud good judgement when it comes to the participation is competitive shooting, a non-political sport that welcomes ALL.

When you become a NRA member insurance for guns and accidental shootings come with the membership. Again, it would be foolish to try and replace that insurance over some issue with the organization. many clubs will not let you compete unless you are an NRA member, with very good reason.
    edited November -1
    Hm, I don't know much about the NRA but what you've mentioned sounds decent.

I was on their site and it's rather vague; they have have rulebooks but no practical reference for someone trying to get in. I imagine this will get easier if I join?

Also, I have a line on a Colt HBAR, and I am pretty sure it's meant for competition considering it's attributes. Where would this rifle fit into NRA competition? I'm reading that high-power has to be 6mm or above and while it IS comparable to the .22lr in caliber, I doubt they fit into the same category. Can anyone enlighten me?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    They are shooting "HBAR" rifles at Camp Perry in high power matches.
    Find a local club and see what matches they put on.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I shoot USBR which is a benchrest 22LR competition.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Briareos
    this will get easier if I join?

Also, I have a line on a Colt HBAR, and I am pretty sure it's meant for competition considering it's attributes. Where would this rifle fit into NRA competition? I'm reading that high-power has to be 6mm or above and while it IS comparable to the .22lr in caliber, I doubt they fit into the same category. Can anyone enlighten me?

If you want to shoot in competition, join NRA and sign up for Shooting Sports magazine in addition to the American Rifleman.
    Go to the site at:
    http://www.nra.org/programs.aspx
    and use the club finder to see where to go near you.
    Go visiting and join the local club first.

A Colt HBAR is a base gun for NRA Service Rifle but if there is not a club near you shooting that set of events, it would be a thousand dollars thrown away. Look before you leap. There is no 6mm requirement for High Power, the .223 used in the AR is a winning cartridge at ranges to 600 yards.