In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7mm Shooting Times Eastern! Need Die info!

jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
I have not made a complete search everywhere on the net for dies yet but I thought I would stop and ask anyway.

I know the parent cartridge for the 7mm STE is the 307 Win. and that the 307Win. is pretty much a Rimmed 308Win.(with a little less case capacity ofcourse). I have not found any 7mm STE reloading dies yet and was wandering in anyone knows if I could use a set of 7mm-08 dies instead(knowing that it is possible to us 308Win dies for a 307Win)? Any info would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Can I get away with using 7mm-08 40degree improved dies?

Thanks Jon0322! I know a guy that is checking to see if he has a set of 7mm-08 40degree improved dies(which he thinks he does), but I can't find any info on whether they will work for the 7mm STE like the 308Win dies will work for the 307Win. Since the 7mm STE is basicly a 307Win. necked to 7mm with the 40degree improved shoulder.

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that you can have Lee make you a custom "collet die set" for $54.

Jon
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How is your search going?

Jon
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why on earth would you revert to an outdated cartridge as your basis for a wildcat???? the 7mm-08 is basicaly the same thing (since the 308 replaced the 307) and brass as well as factory ammo is farrrrr more available.
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC, I know, I know, but I like the 7mm-08 performance and I wanted it in a lever-action hence the search on info for the 7mm STE. I guess there is no specific reason I just want a wicked 7mm in a lever-action, plus it gives me another reason to make the wifey mad by spending money on a rifle.

And Jon0322, I guess it is going good, I don't know, I haven't had anytome in the past few days to look.[:D]

I have also found some goodies for 7mm-307 Win. Ackley Improved which in theory should be the same so I have RCBS Special Order dept checking into case deminsions and dies for me. Now I just need to find a good 7mm bored barrel for a Win. 94AE or Marlin 336 to have chambered after I get some specifics. And Suggestions?

Anyway I will probably go with 307 Win. brass and neck it down to 7mm vs. buying 7mm STE brass. Winchester 307Win. brass = 50 for $19.79 vs 20 for $34 7mm STE! I don't have any special reasoning for this project, just want something different and something that takes a little more involvement.[:D][:p]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand the enticement,..but unless it is a rotary magazine lever action, you can't use pointed tip pills and negate the performance gains.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I understand the enticement,..but unless it is a rotary magazine lever action, you can't use pointed tip pills and negate the performance gains.

That is why I am wanting to us a Win. 94 AE action so that I can have shooting loads that load from the tube and better loads that I can load one at a time, this is more logical and easier with the AE's action. This is more or less a project, just something off the mainstream to have some fun with.

I did recieve some info from RCBS's special order department that there are the 7mm STE and 7mm-08 40degree improved have some significant differences. But I forgot to ask them about the 7mm-307Win. Ackely Improved.
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JTmarine:
    Looks like you've been doing some serious thinking about this conversion. I looked at Hodgdon's reloading manual and it does have a very small section on the 7mm STE. Looks like max loads will push a 120 GR. bullet in the 2800 FPS range, 140 in the 2600 FPS range. This is the up side. Down side, hard to find dies, must fire form brass, might be even tougher to find a reamer?? Very limited loading information.

I don't know if you've seen my other posting. I went through the same pile of problems your looking at now and finnally went to the 7-30 waters. Upside: brass is factory loaded, dies are in stock at most makers, velocities are 2700 FPS range 120 gr bullets, 2500 FPS with 140GR. Go with a 24 inch barrel! I couldn't see a down side other than the cases don't say STE on them.

Another point to consider: the 94 AE was produced in two seperate models. The first was for standard rounds like 30-30, 7-30 Waters, 44 mag. The second version was for the 307 and the 375 winchester rounds. This version had extra steel around the rear locking blocks and made the gun look like it had the mumps. They did this to reinforce the locking block area so they could chamber the two hotter rounds.

I believe you mentioned your 94 ae was a worn out 30-30? I don't want to rain on your parade but I think I'd do some more ckecking on action strength before I spent a dime or made any other plans. I could be (and have been)wrong before but think it's a good idea at this stage of the game to know what your working with!

If you have the stronger action and can find everything you need before you start the project this could be an impressive rifle.

BY the way I just recieved the new Lee cataloge in the mail today. If you have two fired cases and two bullets they will custom make a die set for you for $50.00. I've got 5 sets deluxe die sets and the work great![8D]
    edited November -1
    Scrubberguy, Thanks for the info and the incouragement! I have spoken with a smith about the conversion because I wanted to verify that the action was in good condition, especially for the conversion, he said it is in great shape and I should have no worries about it. I have been doing a lot of snooping around on the 7mm STE and the 7mm-307Win. Ackely Improved and think I am going to go with the 7mm-307. I have found plenty of chamber reamers, die reamers, and brass. RCBS is going to make me a set of dies. I plan I using 307Win. brass and necking it down and fireforming, it is still pretty cheap, less than $20 for 50 new Winchester cases. Now I just need to look into a barrel and start hunting for some good Start Load data. I'm not wanting a full boat of load data, just some where good to start. I usually find more accurate loads far from Max Loads anyway. Here I go, wish me luck!
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JTMarine:

Good Luck and Keep us posted. Always interested in a good barrel suplier. Print photo's of groups when ready![8D]