In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bullet choice question

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
i would like to get opinions on a bullet choice for hunting. My 9 year old son will be using a 223 for a ram hunt. The ram should weigh between 90 & 100 lbs and a 223 recoil is all he can handle. what bullet would you guys suggest for the task at hand? shot should not exceed 70 yards. info on gun is ruger m77 & a 22 in barrel thanks

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I would use the heaviest bullet for the twist rate of your rifle.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

If you have a 1-10" at least, then try and shoot 60 gr. Nosler Partitions. If 1-12" then it should stabilize any of the 55 gr. hunting bullets.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a tad light IMHO. How is his shot placement ability? patience level? Many 223's won't stabilize a 70+gr pill which is what I would want (in a perfect world). I would maybe try 70yds with a 55gr pill and would use something heavier in construction like a triple shock or soft point of some sort. I would however use whatever the heaviest bullet it would stabilize.
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make sure you use a high quality bullet. This is not where you want to skimp, for your son's and the ram's sake. I'd go to Midway's website and read the reviews. Maybe that would help you pick a bullet.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The 60 gr nosler partitions would be my vote. They hang together just fine at 22-250 velocities and they will stabilize in the 1-12 twist. I would practice...practice...practice to make sure your son can place the bullet well. One good shot in the boiler will make quick work, but a shot in the hindquarter will not work well.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm with 5mm, your Ruger doesn't have fast enough twist for a bullet any heavier than 60gr, I would go with that. Take your son out and do alot of shooting, practice practice practice.
    Good hunting,
    W.D.