In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

256 Winchester in T/C Contender

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just purchased a T/C Contender from a pawn shop. I'm now on the hunt for a 256 Winchester barrel for it. I plan to scope it and use it for a short range varmint weapon. Anyone have any loads or advice for me?????

Comments

• mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get a .223 barrel, they are easy to find.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wrote about just that. Read here: http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/256 WM.htm

Good luck finding one, though. I had to borrow the barrel I used because I couldn't find one for sale anywhere. Of course, things change daily, so watch lots of auction places, or Google it often.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Bullberry Barrel makes barrels for the Encore/Contender in any caliber you can dream of. I have several barrels from them. Probably the strangest one is a 380acp.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my .204 ruger contender, but it's not cheap to shoot. The .223 is a good idea.
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a longtime quarter bore nut I'm hung up on the 256, I've seen a few barrels on the GB auction side so I'll keep looking.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Keep your eye's open for a SSK 257 JDJ barrel while your looking.
    A very nice varminter with 85 gr BT's........
  • grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 256 barrel i would sale and several bx ammo to i have never shot it but it is excellent condition
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reddnek,

If you can't find a .256 Winchester you might look at a 25 TCU or Ugalde. A simple form and shoot process from the .223/5.56 case. I've talked to Fred at Bullberry as well. He said either(.256/.25TCU) would be a good cartridge for the contender.

Being a quarter bore nut myself I wish you luck.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problem with a 25 TCU in the Contender is the need for one of those somewhat flimsy and troublesome spring-loaded extractors. I'm surprised Fred didn't mention that.

To allow a rimless round to chamber in a Contender, the extractor has to be able to move out of the way enough to allow the web of the case to pass it, then snap inwards again into the extractor cut ahead of the rim. The long "L" extractor bends very easily if cases are the least bit sticky to extract, and then you have lots of problems.

Rimmed designs like the 256 are MUCH better suited to the Contender.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.