In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2.4Grs of Bullseye behind a 148HBWC for 38Spl ???

sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
Good Evening Guys - I have ordered my press and loading manual but I have a question please until it arrives. 20+ years ago I loaded and shot 10's of thousands of rounds of 2.4Grs of Bullseye in my 38 Spl target pistol with a 148Gr HBWC. I just did a search on GB for Bullseye powder and it no longer exhists, I guess. What is the modern load now that most PPC Revolver shooters load now days??? Thanks in advance guys for your comments and guidance. Mark

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have not bought any Bulls-Eye Powder in the last year but I got 16 pounds last summer of 2008. I have not heard of any plans to stop production.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had exceptional accuracy with 2.8gr of B'eye and 148 gr WC. 2.4 is great too.
    Bullseye powder is still around, however it is scarce just like primers and other popular reloading essentials. I have seen it in several guns stores here locally and at gun shows, but have not seen primers since the last election. I was able to get some 2400 after waiting 6 months. I did Email Allaint about the shortage and they said they are making all powders 24/7. Hopefully the supply will meet the demand. I am still waiting on Hogdon Lil Gun powder.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We always use 2.8g and have been able to get Alliant Bullseye without to many problems. I just bought a pound last month. Dirty but the smell is very nostalgic for me.
  • shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye powder is still around and is still as popular as it ever was. Just now a days you got to look a little harder, the same as with primers. Just the other day at a gun show a guy was selling it at $20 a pound and he had plenty of it.
  • kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot PPC and the load I am using is 2.4 gr of Clays with the 148 gr. wadcutter. Shoots very clean and the powder is not hard to find (Cabela's carries it and they are cheaper than most places, at least around here).
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "it" in the first post was rather ill-defined. I believe he might have meant that the thread he searched for no longer exists. Or not; as I said, the pronoun was decidedly indefinite.

Either way, there are several powders that will work beautifully with hollowbase wadcutters. Bullseye, RedDot, Clays, Solo 1000, Nitro 100, Accurate #2, plus a few Australian, European or surplus powders.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye is currently available at Midway USA in 8 pound jugs for $104.99 plus Hazmat and shipping.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Great supplier if they have it in stock.
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Everyone - I only looked on GB when I had posted this thread. I have told the other guys at work that I want to order some powder in hopes that they will order some to help with the special handling costs. Used to order from Midway years ago. Thanks again for your feedback and links to powder suppliers. Press kit arrived today so with in two weeks I will get to start having fun with reloading again. Thanks again - I also received a Speer Reloading book with my Rock Chucker kit so I will start reading tonight to refresh this old brain...
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    I just bought some Bullseye for $24.95 two days ago. Fresh supply too. I use it for .38, .44, .357mag, 40SW, 9mm. It goes twice as far as most other powder that calls for twice as much as Bullseye. Save a lot of money and seems to last forever. A friend put me on it for these reasons and he is a real cheapskate. I hope they always provide it. My supplier doesn't seem to have any problem getting it regularily from Alliant.
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys - I stand corrected. I just found a box of 38's that I loaded in 1995 and the sticker in the box top states 2.8gr of Bullseye not 2.4gr with a 148gr HBWC. And I did find a 1lb can at a local gun shop that came in one day ago for $ 25.99 so I bought it. Sorry about my mis-quote. Mark