In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nosler BT's or Nosler Accubonds???

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I've always loaded Nosler BT's but I want to work up a load for a heavier bullet for my .300 Win Mag A.I. I really want a 220 grainer, but Nosler does not offer one in a Boat tail pointed Spitzer. Do the Accubond bullets fly as well as the normal BT's??? Has anyone here experimented with both??? Nosler has a 200 grain Accubond. I figured I might give that one a try.

Other than that, does anyone have other recommendations for extreme accuracy and a hunting bullet...in 220 grains???

Thanks!

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC
    IIRC the accubond is nothing but a bonded core BT.
    Go to the Nosler website and look at the cross sections they have there.

BT
    ballistic_tip_hunting_bullet.jpg

Accubond
    accubond_bullets.jpg

E-Tip
    etip_bullets.jpg
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the high tech bullets available now there is not much need to use the 220 except maybe as a fmj for elephant.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    With the high tech bullets available now there is not much need to use the 220 except maybe as a fmj for elephant.

The 1000 yard guys tell me the magic numbers for the .30 are a 220 grain pill doing 2800 fps...
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner...that E-tip looks like it'd be a pretty good bullet for big game. What are your thoughts on it?
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same POI in my rifle between the two.

I ran 200gr pills at 1000yds from my 300RUM at Quantico a few years back.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    Same POI in my rifle between the two.

I ran 200gr pills at 1000yds from my 300RUM at Quantico a few years back.

JustC...what do you think of the E-Tip for big game purposes. I cannot find the 200 grainers in stock at any of my wholesalers and I noticed the BC of the E-Tips was slightly higher than the Accubond/BT's for the 180 grain pills.

Would you stick with the Accubond or go for the E-Tips??? Thanks!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see any elk taking the punishment a 180gr accubond would deliver.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I don't see any elk taking the punishment a 180gr accubond would deliver.

I don't either...I was just wondering if the higher BC of the E-Tip was worth going for (for accuracy reasons).
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC,

"The 1000 yard guys tell me the magic numbers for the .30 are a 220 grain pill doing 2800 fps..."

I'm not sure what bullets your '1000 yard guys' are referring to but I can get 2800 out of my .300 WSM and the Berger 210's without breaking a sweat and at any altitude. If they're talking about just making it to 1,000 yards there are better combinations.

In the first place BC does not equivocate accuracy at all. It's merely a comparative representation of how efficiently it moves through the air. The higher the BC the more efficient the bullet is.

If you want a high BC bullet made for hunting, use either of these two I've listed below. If you can't locate them from your suppliers let me know and I'll put you in touch with someplace that has them.

These are both from Berger and I use them:

.308cal 190gr Match Hunting VLD

Ballistic Coef. = .574
    Suggested Twist Rate = 1:12
    Box of 100

Our Price: $41.00

.308cal 210gr Match Hunting VLD

Ballistic Coef. = .631
    Suggested Twist Rate = 1:11
    Box of 100

Our Price: $39.00

Best.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    ECC,

"The 1000 yard guys tell me the magic numbers for the .30 are a 220 grain pill doing 2800 fps..."

I'm not sure what bullets your '1000 yard guys' are referring to but I can get 2800 out of my .300 WSM and the Berger 210's without breaking a sweat and at any altitude. If they're talking about just making it to 1,000 yards there are better combinations.

In the first place BC does not equivocate accuracy at all. It's merely a comparative representation of how efficiently it moves through the air. The higher the BC the more efficient the bullet is.

If you want a high BC bullet made for hunting, use either of these two I've listed below. If you can't locate them from your suppliers let me know and I'll put you in touch with someplace that has them.

These are both from Berger and I use them:

.308cal 190gr Match Hunting VLD

Ballistic Coef. = .574
    Suggested Twist Rate = 1:12
    Box of 100

Our Price: $41.00

.308cal 210gr Match Hunting VLD

Ballistic Coef. = .631
    Suggested Twist Rate = 1:11
    Box of 100

Our Price: $39.00

Best.

NN...I've been looking for some 210 VLD's as well...problem is, I try to combine orders to save on shipping. I placed 3 orders with 3 separate wholesalers today and none of them had the 210 VLD's.

We all know every rifle shoots differently, but what combinations would you be shooting for...no pun intended.

This is just a long range hunting rig...but I'm always striving for the ultimate accuracy.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC,

"I try to combine orders to save on shipping."

We all try to conserve our resources where possible but sometimes you literally have to just bite the bullet in order to get the components you want to use. I understand your predicament but I follow the logic of getting the job done and not waiting to save a couple of bucks on a combined order. You are also in a good position to remind your suppliers that they need to do a better job of maintaining inventory in these times because there are more suppliers that will work with you and want your business.

"but what combinations would you be shooting for...no pun intended."

I would work with and have worked with the Berger Hunting VLD's in 185 gr., 190 gr. or the 210 gr. They are all high BC bullets that when pushed at an appropriate velocity, will make it to 1,000 yards and still have enough energy remaining to do the job properly. The only suggestion that I would make is to be absolutely sure that you can make one of these shots every time, not just once in while. It's not as easy as some folks think... and there is a lot more to it than just pulling the trigger, especially in that area you hunt.

Best.
    edited November -1
    ECC,

We all try to conserve our resources where possible but sometimes you literally have to just bite the bullet in order to get the components you want to use. I understand your predicament but I follow the logic of getting the job done and not waiting to save a couple of bucks on a combined order. You are also in a good position to remind your suppliers that they need to do a better job of maintaining inventory in these times because there are more suppliers that will work with you and want your business.

I would work with and have worked with the Berger Hunting VLD's in 185 gr., 190 gr. or the 210 gr. They are all high BC bullets that when pushed at an appropriate velocity, will make it to 1,000 yards and still have enough energy remaining to do the job properly. The only suggestion that I would make is to be absolutely sure that you can make one of these shots every time, not just once in while. It's not as easy as some folks think... and there is a lot more to it than just pulling the trigger, especially in that area you hunt.

Best.

Yes, I know...long range hunting/shooting was pretty easy back east (comparatively). Long range shots out here consist of ridge to ridge shots...with about 1000 different wind currents in between. There's no vegetation to tell you what the wind is doing between ridges and heat mirage is almost non-existent. Long range shooting in my immediate vicinity is quite a bit different than it was back east. I don't take a shot on a live animal unless I feel it...and even then precautions are taken to try to ensure a clean kill or clean miss (but I will not take a shot that I have any doubt I can make).
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    ECC,

Best.

Yes, I know...long range hunting/shooting was pretty easy back east (comparatively). Long range shots out here consist of ridge to ridge shots...with about 1000 different wind currents in between. There's no vegetation to tell you what the wind is doing between ridges and heat mirage is almost non-existent. Long range shooting in my immediate vicinity is quite a bit different than it was back east. I don't take a shot on a live animal unless I feel it...and even then precautions are taken to try to ensure a clean kill or clean miss (but I will not take a shot that I have any doubt I can make).

That is easy to say, no pun intended, Ive been building my longrange elk gun for two years now. 300RUM. No problem with velocity and energy using everything from 180 swift sirrocco's to, 180 Barnestripple shock.working on the 210 vld right now, cutting the wind in this counrty is a big key, matching that with a bullett that performs the way its supposed to is key, Glass is "KEY"

Dont even know why im posting this im sure you already know[:)]

Ill tell ya though, BC is great if you can get the results of a partition and from what ive found that is dictated by speed and energy
    at the point of impact. For instance you shoot an elk with a 300 ultra mag at 75 yards that you have loads built for beyond 500 to even 1000, youll have along day trackin[V] lessin you have turrets and a range finder.

Check out this scope the more I play with it the more I like it, Cause in our country 9 times out of 10 your lookin at the elk long before they know ya are and you got time to set up, range, dial and squeeze[:)]

http://greybullprecision.com/Products/PrecisionHuntingOptic/tabid/63/Default.aspx
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idahordnk
    ECC,

Best.

That is easy to say, no pun intended, Ive been building my longrange elk gun for two years now. 300RUM. No problem with velocity and energy using everything from 180 swift sirrocco's to, 180 Barnestripple shock.working on the 210 vld right now, cutting the wind in this counrty is a big key, matching that with a bullett that performs the way its supposed to is key, Glass is "KEY"

Dont even know why im posting this im sure you already know[:)]

Ill tell ya though, BC is great if you can get the results of a partition and from what ive found that is dictated by speed and energy
    at the point of impact. For instance you shoot an elk with a 300 ultra mag at 75 yards that you have loads built for beyond 500 to even 1000, youll have along day trackin[V] lessin you have turrets and a range finder.

Check out this scope the more I play with it the more I like it, Cause in our country 9 times out of 10 your lookin at the elk long before they know ya are and you got time to set up, range, dial and squeeze[:)]

http://greybullprecision.com/Products/PrecisionHuntingOptic/tabid/63/Default.aspx

I've got a Leupold 8.5-25X50mm with the varmint hunter's reticle and turrets.

After I get my load worked up, I plan to shoot it to see how well the graduated reticle works...I'll most likely still be dialing my shots in.
    edited November -1
    Varmit hunter reticle is a good reticle for just that "varmits" on a varmit gun. The BDC marks do not match the ballistics of a 300 win mag.

The scope I posted in the link excels because (IMHO) you have 1 crosshair, one turret marked in yardage, So range dial squeeze and the wind is measured in MOA and marked above your yardage for drift.and lets you know how many minutes to hold to comepensate for wind drift. (calibrated to your load)

The turrets are interchangeable if you have different loads for whatever you are doing.

Range, Dial, wind, squeeze......

The only thing I would say which youve heard and already know.......If the game is standing still ill shoot.if their spooked and moving and you cannot make an ethical shot..... dont..... if conditions are right youd be amazed....... taking a few more minutes to read the conditions and dial your setup.....Ethics that is what it all boils down to.

It is possible. alot of time at the range and knowing your gun[:)]
    edited November -1
    Man.....I need to quit drinkin and postin your thread has nothing to do with scopes[:I]

I do know where your comin from though[:)] am working on the 210 grain berger VLDs for mine now.

Sorry bout almost hijacking[:D][8D]
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric,

Check your e-mails.

Ed
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

The 1000 yard guys tell me the magic numbers for the .30 are a 220 grain pill doing 2800 fps...

That's 'cause Federal just got the contract (49.9 Mil) to produce indefinite lots of Sierra 220 gr. loaded .300 Win Mag. The 'Military' is finally switching over to, or at least making it primary, the 7.62x67 NATO as the long range precision shooting (sniper) system. It'll be a slow turnover for the rifles. But lots of the M24's have already gone in for refurbishment (bolt and barrel change).

The whole reason the 220 gr. all of a sudden got so popular was during trials (one group, not everyone testing it) found the 220 was far less disrupted through the transonic stage than the purpose built Sierra 210 HPBT. AAANNND, Bryan Litz wrote an article titled "What's wrong with the .30 cal" and proceeded to prove point by point that it's a viable caliber, but bullet weights weren't high enough to achieve the uber high BC's that 7mm and 6.5 have. It's a good article. You can look it up here on the Forums somewhere I think, or over on snipers hide.

My opinion is if you are shooting the .30 then the A-max followed by the 210 Berger then the 220 Sierra. The 210 Sierra is great out to 1000. Better, I think, than the 220. But it's the stability issue when going beyond transonic. It's certainly worth a try for you. It never hurts to get out there yourself and do this.