In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Haz Mat Charges

colt423colt423 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
this is a common sense queation. Any one else find this so called haz mat charge a crock?[8D]

Comments

• HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Well, it was Haz Mat (Oxygen Generatore) that ignited some spare tires inside the cargo bay of an airliner that brought it down in the Everglades....

Many a ship has been sunk by fires and explosions from Hazardous Materials not properly segregated from dangerously combinant items in the same hold, or stowed below the dangerous stuff.

Shippers take a dim view of loosing their employees and equipment because something getting shipped should not have been near something else.

Bridge and Tunnel owners sure hate it when their structures are toasted and or disassembled by unintended fires, wrecks and explosions.

Mail customers don't like it when their check is lost in a fire explosion, etc.

Haz-Mat fees track and segregate the dangers so that these "Predictable Incidents" are vanishingly rare.

I like it when my expensive new gadgets/guns/checks get to me unharmed.

Now, How about you?
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    If you hate the Haz-Mat fee, don't ever ship a handgun with UPS. I sent one to S&W and it cost me about $60!
  • Hiline345Hiline345 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    If you hate the Haz-Mat fee, don't ever ship a handgun with UPS. I sent one to S&W and it cost me about $60!

Was the gun loaded when you shipped? I know they ask what you are shipping so just tell them you are shipping machined parts.
    A unloaded firearm is just a machined part just like car parts.
    Will they charge a Haz-Mat fee for car parts?
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hiline345

Was the gun loaded when you shipped? I know they ask what you are shipping so just tell them you are shipping machined parts.
    A unloaded firearm is just a machined part just like car parts.
    Will they charge a Haz-Mat fee for car parts?

He didn't pay a haz-mat fee, he's just whining that they require that handguns be shipped "next day air" and the costs assocated with that (vs standard ground)
    BTW, if your caught shipping a firearm as "machine parts", expect to receive a large fine from the ICC. There are govt rules about improperly declaring shipments.
    edited November -1
    tailgunner1954- Are you an employee of UPS, or just someone that believes a handgun is so scary that it can't be shipped UPS ground for about $10? This is just another way for greedy UPS to make money off gun owners! If you take the time you will find that the powers that be at UPS are rabid anti-gun!!

I don't give a damn about UPS and their anti-gun rules, but I was mailing a friends S&W revolver to the factory for repair. He doesn't leave his house much (old), and I did the shipping as a friend.

If I mail my own firearm, it will be "machine parts", which is what I've done in the pass.

Now, tail, tell me why YOU believe a handgun shouldn't be mailed UPS three day ground??? I'm waiting!!!!
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tailgunner1954- Are you an employee of UPS, or just someone that believes a handgun is so scary that it can't be shipped UPS ground for about $10? This is just another way for greedy UPS to make money off gun owners! If you take the time you will find that the powers that be at UPS are rabid anti-gun!!

I don't give a damn about UPS and their anti-gun rules, but I was mailing a friends S&W revolver to the factory for repair. He doesn't leave his house much (old), and I did the shipping as a friend.

If I mail my own firearm, it will be "machine parts", which is what I've done in the pass.

Now, tail, tell me why YOU believe a handgun shouldn't be mailed UPS three day ground??? I'm waiting!!!!

With that attitude, numnuts, you'll be waiting a LONG time.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fee associated with the Haz-Mat indeed seems quite excessive, every UPS truck delivery of these items sees it tossed into the truck with the same reckless abandon as every other box.

However the requirements for shipping handguns is gouging the customer, but what can you do about it? Nothing. It is a government problem more than it is a shipper problem. UPS and Fedex are just trying to make money, I don't blame them for that.

The one I blame for a lot of it is the postal service and its crappy attitude about handling handguns. It is no different than other four pound boxes but you would think it had nuclear waste in it.
    edited November -1
    Just as I figured, NO ANSWER!!! Speaking of whining?? We'll just end this by asking other posters if they think UPS and the post office are being fair when shipping guns, and or ammo. Right back atcha', numnuts!!!!!