In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Full Length or Just Neck Sizing...Custom Dies...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
OK, I'm finally getting around to breaking my .300 AI in and I need to get some custom dies built for it. My 1000 yard gunsmith recommends full length sizing for consistency. Many other folks say you are better off Just sizing the neck. What do you guys think? These are going to be expensive dies and I want to get it right to start with. I put a lot of weight in what John has to say...he built a world record setting 1000 yard rig...but then again, he didn't shoot it (the record).

One last question, would you just have the dies made to standard specs...or would you have them made to a spent casing from your chamber?

Comments

• HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Sooner or later, you are gonna HAVE to do a full-length resizing to push back the shoulder of the shell.

Neck size works for a limited number of reloads, and makes for a more accurate reload (some say), "works" the brass less, but will eventually not chamber due to elongation.

I have never had any trouble with Full-Length resized rounds chambering. My buds who Neck-Size only do have occasional problems.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sound like you have a real neat setup. As retired-military, long range precision shooting is where it is at.
    I have heard both sides of the arguement over full length and just neck sizing. If I had one unique rifle in one specific caliber, neck sizing would make sense on my once fired. You might just want to experiment with you rifle and compare results.
    For most part, I full length size. I own 4 30-06s and really don't taylor my loads to a specific rifle, so I full size. I did experiment with a 243 and 308 years ago to compare full and neck sized rounds and it really made no difference in my rifles. My 308 is a target rifle and the 243 is not. As far as your last question, the spent case would be the way I would go.
    Good luck with your new toy.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If you full length size each and ever time you have the case consistent each and every time...
    Sending in spent fired cases for the dies will give you the best possible fit in the chamber...
  • goodhuntgoodhunt Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full length sizing is mandatory for new unfired brass and/or once fired brass from a rifle other than you own. Neck sizing is required every time you reload. It allows for easier bullet seating. Annealing is needed on the neck only, after every 3 reloads or so. It softens the neck to prevent a brittle neck.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I wonder why neck sizing makes bullet seating easier ????
    When a case is annealed the neck and shoulder is what needs it, not just the neck !!!!
    Look at a annealed case and you can see where it has been done......
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the dies should be made WITH THE REAMER that cut your chamber,

If not, get redding comp dies and a body die. When needed, the body die can tighten the expansion ring at the case head without bumping the shoulder.

See if he can cut you a set of Wilson dies and just buy the redding body die.