In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Decapping with live primer Q...

TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
Well I traded .308's from a Ruger M77 to a Rem 700 SPS. I had several cases which were neck sized for the Ruger chamber ready to go with CCI BR primers already seated.

Problem is the Ruger chamber seems to have looser tolerances that the Rem 700 and the NS'd cases will not even chamber empty in the Remington.

I was wondering can I decap these live primers without them going off??? I kind of doubt it and I'm not in the mood for experimenting. If I could I would them full length size the brass for the Remington.

What's the verdict???

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you can deprime them -- just do it gently and wear eye protection just in case. I've decapped thousands of them and never had one go off yet, but there is always the first time.
    I use a Lee universal decapping die these days (about $10 and works on 22 thru 45 caliber of any size with no lubrication required) but have done lots with a regular die in the past.
    You could just remove the depriming pin from your die and resize them too.
    Good Luck & be careful..........................................
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If you remove the decapping pin from your sizer die but leave the plug on the stem or even screw the plug/stem up into the die body part way you will be able to full lenght the cases without removeing the primer. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    make that a 3rd nod to the removing the decapping pin and sizing them accordingly.....
  • TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That makes perfect sense, but had not occurred to me. Thank you all.

TB
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if I decapp live primers,..I turn away from the press and work the handle behind my back, just to be sure.
    edited November -1
    One thing I forgot to mention was if you resize them with out the decapping pin you'll be better off just wiping off the case lube by hand. If you tumble it some of the case polishing media may get down in the top of the primer and potentially impede consistant ignition.
    Using the Universal decapping die I mentioned above allows you to deprime without lube if you decide to decap some on a regular basis, etc. -- Just another option.
    Good Luck.......................
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    if I decapp live primers,..I turn away from the press and work the handle behind my back, just to be sure.

Coward.....................................[:D][:D].
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Temblor,

Am I a just a chicken then if I use a a clear grinder face sheild...? LOL

P.S. resize without decapping pin is the easist way to go.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I have decapped quite a few rounds also. The manual tells you to never do this but it takes a lot more pressue to set them off than you think.

I always make sure my powder measure is removed from the Dillon, no powder, primers, flamable materials in the area and just squeese gently. They pop right out. Always wear eye protection and keep you face away from the press, just good common sense stuff.

I did set one off one time but I was stupid and did not see one primer remaining in the primer tube and I pressed a little hard to pop it out. Bang! and it scared the crap outa me! I was real quiet for a time to see if my wife heard it or and neighbors. One time in over 30+ years of reloading. But of course it only takes one time to become injured so follow all the safety hints on the included posts.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I too have decapped a lot from crumpled rounds, mistakes, etc. I had one go off. Scared me but no flash really even exited the decapping die.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you resize w/o the expander, you may have problems starting a bullet. If you use a boattail, most of the timeit will work. You still might get an occasional crumpled case neck.