In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Odd idea for Mosin rounds...

CeeWhyCeeWhy Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
The venerable Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R is by no means a tack driver, but it's accurate (and reliable) enough for what most people use it for. After accurisation, a lot of Mosins hit 2 MOA, which is pretty damn good (the Finnish use accurised and modernised Mosin actions in their army even today as bases for sniper rifles, called the 7.62 Tkiv 85). However, what if the Mosin were to be firing a more accurate, more efficient round? Since the action's most well-suited for rimmed cartridges, and there isn't that great a variety of modern rimmed centerfire rounds better for long-distance accuracy than the 7.62x54R, the best option would be to create a wildcat based on the 7.62x54R, would it not?

Take 7.62x54R brass, neck it down to 6.5mm, use the same sort of projectiles used in the 6.5 Grendel and make sure the thing turns out the same overall length of the original 7.62x54R. If a cartridge like this were to be wildcated, a Mosin would only require a barrel swap to accommodate the new cartridge, correct? And, since 6.5mm bullets tend to have particularly good ballistic coefficients, they would be best for this sort of wildcat, I'm guessing.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, put on a quality barrel, square up the receiver and rechamber it to minimum spec.

The #1 reason for poor accuracy with a Nagant is the barrel/chamber. The grooves run from .309 to .318 when their supposed to be .308 also the throats and chambers are also very sloppy.
    This is all due to war time emergency production tolerances (at one point they were assembeled and issued immedeatly, the "proof firing" being done by the "volenteer" when he fired at his first German)
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Remington M/N is a tack driver with Hornady .308 125's..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Been done already by the Finns as well- necked down, necked up, out, and everything in between. I think it was called the 6.5X54R (Imagine that....)
  • Options
    CeeWhyCeeWhy Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.municion.org/6_5rR/6_5rR.htm
    6_5x54RG.jpg

Indeed, it seems to have been done already. I wonder how well the cartridge ended up performing, though?
  • Options
    fgd135fgd135 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CeeWhy
    http://www.municion.org/6_5rR/6_5rR.htm
    6_5x54RG.jpg

Indeed, it seems to have been done already. I wonder how well the cartridge ended up performing, though?

The Soviets manufactured at least two different rifles chambered for their 6.5x54r cartridge--both for a competitive Olympic and FIS shooting event, the biathlon, beginning about 1960.
    One rifle is a heavily modified Mosin Nagant, rebarrelled and restocked; the other is a more conventional bolt action target rifle produced commercially by Izhmash and called (what else?) "Vostok". Some of those rifles were imported in the 1980s by Marstar in Canada.
    Biathlon changed over to .22lr in the 1970s, and manufacture of the rifles ceased.
    The cartridge was manufactured at Novisibirsk, and used a 160 grain FMJ-BT bullet that had a muzzle velocity of about 2500 fps.
    It's a pretty accurate cartridge, I have one of the rifles, load for it and shoot it in NRA matches sometimes. It will shoot sub moa off a benchrest at 200m.
    My rifle has a superbly adjustable match trigger, finely adjustable aperture front and rear sights, an adjustable buttplate, a built in muzzle cover (it's for a snow sport) and a handrail. Nice. Loads from a Mosin 5 round stripper clip, too.
    I usually shoot bullets in the 140-155 grain range, but have had good accuracy with lighter bullets as well.
    Hope this helps!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why go to the trouble?There are so many better looking rifles and better performing cartridges. Accept it for what it is a dinosuar that survived.