In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

8mm brass - favorites or dogs ?

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've not loaded much rifle ammo in several years, and I'm going to pick it up again with 8 x 57. The largest lot I have is Remington, and from my notes it is about time for it to go.

Is there a common favorite ? Or some to avoid ?

Brass or loaded ammo, either is fine with me.

5/9 - Thanks for the replies and advice..much appreciated.

Comments

• swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer Norma; loaded ammo or brass.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those of us that can't afford Norma brass Remington is fine.

I also use a lot of FNM Target brass and I convert 3006 brass to 8X57

Lake City match 3006 is the best to make into 8MM as it is soft so reforms well.
    I did about 300 of those last summer for one gun's loadings using 150 and the 150 in reserve.

8MM is a decent case and wears well so last 50 plus loads in a K98k or other bolt gun.

I imagine it would not do well in a Hakim or FN-49.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say reformed military '06 brass is the best way to go. Easy to find and seems to last forever. One pass thru the full legnth sizer and trim to 2.230...ready to go.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The more brittle brass does not last long when reformed so if you use that you must anneal it.
    Lake city match is soft and is fine but regular LC is brittle and does not last 3 firings before the necks start to split.

Federal is better than Winchester which along with LC should be annealed, IMO

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotstolefrom,

Or, there is PRVI Partizan. Pretty good brass to be had rather inexpensively. It's not as good as Norma but IMO better than re-worked LC match, Remington and even Winchester. I found Winchester to be pretty good brass but it depends on how you get it, bulk or box.