In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tumbling loaded ammo

slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
O.K. Call me a risk taker. I KNOW they say don't do it; experts please tell me why not. I have some lightly corroded mil surp .308. I tried steel wool and it takes alot off in seconds. I have 3998 to go. Like they got damp and there is some transfer where the cases rested against each other. Flame away.

Are they gonna blow up and extinguish the sun? Will Al Gore be mad?

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The factorys tumble all their ammo before packaging it. The catch here is that they don't tumble it very long...just long enough to get any stains or smudges off the case or bullet. Tumbling loaded ammo with the idea that you can grind away corrosion is a fools game.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above statement, I will sometimes tumble loaded rounds for 15 minutes to put a little more shine on them. Try steel wool, I use a Lee case trimmer, chuck it up in my drill and hit it with steel wool, it's a little labor intensive, but it works.
    W.D.
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the answers to my iffy question.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've done it to clean dirt off some old milsurp ammo. If you tumble it for a long time- probably days- it could bust up the powder and mess up burn rate and pressures.
    While I don't advocate shooting overly dirty ammo, if it is just light corrosion i'd just shoot as is.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The main reason to not tumble loaded ammo is the tumbling causes the powder to break down and that changes the burn... in a max load for that gun, things will get very interesting in a hurry....
    The main ammo makers state they do not tumble loaded ammo for that very reason...
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A light begins to shine. I never thought about it, but it sounds like the SHAPE of powder has alot to do with its' burning speed. not JUST the formulas' percentages? This is prolly in everybody's knowledge base, but has eluded mine. If I'm right in this, thanks again!
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slinger - Glad you asked the question. I just learned me something from your thread that I did not know. Thanks guys - Mark
  • jeffjmrjeffjmr Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nevr-dull is the ticket for polishing loaded ammo, and just about anything else made of metal. But it is particularly effective on brass and copper.

Available at Wal-Mart and hardware stores. It is a fiber wadding impregnated with a special metal polish and comes in a can. Smells nasty but works like a charm.

Cheers,
    Jeff[;)]