In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

22-250 For Whitetail Deer?!

lov2hntlov2hnt Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I have a ruger Varmiter rifle in 22-250 wiht the heavy barel and laminated stock and I used to use it in Colorado for coyotes. I recently moved back to Wisconsin and I hate to give it up. I love the way it shoots and I feel I can knock down some yotes out heer as well. I want to go deer hunting but cant afford another rifle. How will my 22-250 perform on Whitetalil deer? What bullit should I use? Can I still shoot them behind the front sholder? Thanks for your help,
Bill

Comments

• lov2hntlov2hnt Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    .22 cal is not leagal to hunt deer in Wisconsin.

This is straight out of the Wisconsin DNR 2005 deer hunting regualations hand book. "Any .22 caliber or larger centerfire rifle is legal to use to hunt deer."
  • rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive shot one deer with a 22-250. was close range and a neck shot front to back. bullet lodged in the spine. I would not shoot one behind the sholders. either a neck shot or ear shot. but you had better know your gun to get a good kill shot.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I could count the number of deer harvested by a 22-250. A shot in the boiler room, with a bullet at that speed and it's relatively low sectional density make it a very effective whitetail rig. I would suggest against a varmint style polycarbonate tipped pill like the balistic tip or Vmax. I would have no trouble using a 55gr softpoint or partition or barnes triple shock. A few pards were knocking them flat a few years back with 50gr HP's in 22-250's at 300yds.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    luv2hnt,

A 22-250 can kill a deer out to 300 yds using the right bullet. A friend of mine killed all of his deer, some of them out to 400 yds., with a .220 Swift. The 22-250 has very similar balistics to the Swift.
    With proper bullet selection you can take this hunting deer and not worry. I would suggest nosler partition, barnes or Speer still makes a 70 gr. as far as I know. With a lighter caliber rifle it's also easier to make better shots. -Good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This topic has been covered pretty well in previous posts. As I've said before I have shot a lot of deer with a 22/250 and some Antelope too with excellent results, however bullet type and bullet placement are critical. I recommend the Barnes X bullet in 52 or 53 grains, if using this bullet you will do fine, their is also a Nosler Partition available in 55 or is it 60 grain that does pretty good too and I hear of a Trophy Bonded bullet that sounds good, just make sure you use a good bullet that will offer deep penetration and hold itself together for an exit of the animal. Once again I heartily recommend Barnes X bullets for this. Look at some previous posts on the topic, if you look a short way down maybe 20 or so threads in this forum you will see" .22 caliber deer bullet" or something like that.
    Good luck and good hunting.
  • gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very very good round for deer like using a .222 or .223
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    lov2hnt, as stated this topic has been thoroughly covered, more than once, just look back through some of the posts.
    Wanted to say, "Welcome to the Forum", BTW I was born in merrill, Wi, moved away from Wi for about 18 yrs, but am back for about 8 yr now. I tried to e-mail you through your profile but something didn't work?!*LOL* E-mail me, if you like, we may know some of the same people, although relatives are the only folks I know "IN" Merrill anymore
  • roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with what most have said. The 22-250 kills deer. Heck a guide that I used in Darby Mt. shot bull elk with 22-250, but he was a woodsman who picked his shots and had lived in the area all his life and had time to pass on shots that he felt were not "right" for the light bullet that he used. If time for you is critical and you need to take a deer where and when you see same, you must face the fact that in some cases, deer will present you with shots, for which using a light bullet like the 22-250 is not advised. Like I said, the 22-250 kills deer, but in the hands of an imprudent gunner, the 22-250 can be a great crippler of deer too. Where a heavier bullet has the ability to cut through lots more tissue and even bone, causing the desired wound channel and trauma, the 22-250 may not be able to do that. I hear you when you say you cannot afford another rifle now and I respect that. But just think about how careful you have to be in order to show the game the respect that they deserve. Good hunting.

roysclockgun