In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New interested in Shooting Competitions

RiChArD987RiChArD987 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
I'm new to the sport...and a new NRA member. I've been looking at the NRA site for info on the different type of shooting competitions. So far, I think i'm interested in the Action Pistol Shooting and the Conventional Pistol Shoot. The site info didn't really specify what type of pistol is best for the Action Pistol Competition; for a beginner. Which gun should I look to begin with?

For the Conventional, it mentions that you need a .22 rimfire, a centerfire and a .45 cal. But it also mentioned that you didn't need all three to compete. What have you all used and what is best for a beginner?

I appreciate all the help...thanks in advance

Comments

• RiChArD987RiChArD987 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nobody has any comments??
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RiChArD987 : I think you would get better response on this question if you posted it in the "Ask the Experts" forum. -- good luck.....[8D]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Richard sorry I look more at ask the expert list I have been shooting conventional BULLS-EYE for 40 years and it is a great sport my suggestion would be to contact NRA and get a copy of SHOOTING SPORTS this list all approved nra matches. There are many clubs that have beganing matches that are not listed I run marches every other Sunday afternoon at our club My suggestion is to find a club NRA should be able to help or email me with your location and I will try to give you some names . DON'T buy a pistol until you go watch different types of matches and in most cases someone will be happy to loan you a pistol try different ones if possible. We shoot 22rim fire, center fire and 45ACP but you can shoot 45ACP in the center fire stage . See if one of the older shooters at a local CLUB WILL MENTOR YOU I am past my prime but enjoy coaching new shooters and help them avoid pitfalls "wrong equipment etc""PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • RiChArD987RiChArD987 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Richard sorry I look more at ask the expert list I have been shooting conventional BULLS-EYE for 40 years and it is a great sport my suggestion would be to contact NRA and get a copy of SHOOTING SPORTS this list all approved nra matches. There are many clubs that have beganing matches that are not listed I run marches every other Sunday afternoon at our club My suggestion is to find a club NRA should be able to help or email me with your location and I will try to give you some names . DON'T buy a pistol until you go watch different types of matches and in most cases someone will be happy to loan you a pistol try different ones if possible. We shoot 22rim fire, center fire and 45ACP but you can shoot 45ACP in the center fire stage . See if one of the older shooters at a local CLUB WILL MENTOR YOU I am past my prime but enjoy coaching new shooters and help them avoid pitfalls "wrong equipment etc""PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"

Thank you for the advice...I will get with my local club, hopfully by the first of the year...and have some good ideas.