In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A little help, which press do you recommend???

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Been doing some price checking.....

Keep in mind, I'm not going to be shelling thousands of rounds out, I just want to get started in a new hobby.

I'll be reloading for my 40S&W and father-in-law's 357/38.

Lee Pro 1000 (looks like the best deal, no scale needed?)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jsp?id=0003093211015a&navCount=4&podId=0003093&parentId=cat20847&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

Lee anniversary kit
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/149097

Lee Turret kit (doesn't look very good but I thought I'd add it)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod.jsp?rid=&indexId=cat20847&navAction=push&navCount=94&cmCat=&parentType=index&parentId=cat20847&id=0032404

Lyman Crusher 2 Kit
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=548480
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubslover,

YOU NEED A SCALE. NO IF's, AND's or BUT's. A reloading scale is the one basic item you should not do without.

Any single stage reloading outfit will serve you well. I recommend against the automatic type presses for a beginner. There is way too much to learn before using a press where every operation is happening at once.

The full kits sold by RCBS or LEE or any reputable maker will serve you very well. All you need to add is your components for the caliber you are loading.

Happy shooting!
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend that anyone starting to reload get themselves a single stage press(RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady, etc.) , a set of manual scales, correct dies(Redding, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc.), a good case trimmer(Wilson, Forster, RCBS, Lyman, Lee), and most important of all a couple or three reloading manuals (by such as Speer, Hornady, Sierre). Read the manuals and understand the basics before you start reloading or your just going to make mistakes. In which case you will need a bullet puller also to recover bullets and powder to start all over again. Unless you intend to load quite a bit of ammo at one time, you really don't need one of the progressive presses or even a turret. I have a couple of progressive presses and seldom use them and mostly for pistol and revolver loading. I load all my rifle ammo on the single stage presses(mine are RCBS Rockchucker, and a older small CH press). I started loading in the late 50's on the Lee hand kit(the only one Lee made back then) and while it does load excellent ammo, it is very slow. You would still need the scale, manuals, etc. as well. Be forewarned though, reloading is adictive. You'll start finding excuses to buy more and more equipment and ungrade and on and on. It becomes a second hobby in itself. Hey I just hope you have as much fun and I have over the years. Jim
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys!
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Stay away from the Lee pro 1000. I have one and it is more trouble than it is worth. It is unreliable and constantly breaking the little chain that dumps the powder.
    edited November -1
    That seals it then. I think I'll start with a Lee Anniversary kit with the challenger press.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Let me know what dies your gonna need. I have lots of them..[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Let me know what dies your gonna need. I have lots of them..[;)]

That I'm not sure of. Check out the other thread I started today to understand my question.

Thanks!!!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a new Lee Classic Cast for $59.

Looks good next to my Chucker
  • young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mommy and daddy bought me a lee anniversary kit for xmas.....as soon as I move out of my damn in laws I'll set it up
  • 2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady Lock and load AP.

I love mine.
  • tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use an inherited lee 3 hole turret top-i love it-havent had a problem yet with it

definetly get a scale!!!!
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If all your going to load` are handgun rounds..You don't need a case trimmer...!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • RIFLERIFLE Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DILLON IS THE WAY TO GO. START OF WITH THE BEST & YOU'LL NEVER REGRET IT. DILLON BACKS NOT ONLY HIS PRODUCTS, BUT IT THERE ON THE PHONE TO HELP YOU THRY ANY RELOADING SITUATION. YOU'LL NOT BE SORRY FOR GOING WITH A DILLON.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon/RCBS/Lyman-can't go wrong wih any of them. All guanteed. All great companies. All stand behind their products.
  • savage204savage204 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS ROCKCHUCKER 2,,,HAVE MINE FOR 10 YRS AND ITS STILL LIKE NEW AND NEVER LET ME DOWN. LOADED FROM 9MM TO 300 MAG. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE A SCALE AND WEIGH YOUR POWDER CHARGE,,,,ACCIDENTS CAN HAPPEN AND IT COULD BE COSTLY.,,,,,,,,,SHOOT STRAIGHT,,,SAVAGE
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the same Lee Challenger press for about 20 years with no problems and have loaded thousands of rounds with it.But last week I bought a new Lee Classic Cast just because I wanted it(and Cabelas had it on sale).Take a look at one.It is a serious press.
    edited November -1
    Too Late I got my package today............

Picture.jpg
  • deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From Cabela's![:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by decee
    From Cabela's![:p]

of course