In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

digital powder scales?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
are they a good investment?what brand?any input is apprec.thanks don

Comments

• remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like my Lyman dps 1200, they've come out with a dps 1200 II now and rcbs has the 1500 out, i've heard alot of good things about both scales and i would have went with the rcbs except money was slim at the time and lyman was 100 bucks cheaper. if i get a new one, i'll get the rcbs, so far the lyman has worked fine
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The old RCBS 90's were a really good digital scale, and they show up from time to time on the auction sites, do a search for them.
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Dillon model and it works great. As with any digital keep it away from any breezes such as open window or heat/ac vents.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't buy a PACT. They are Junk.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my buddies bought a set of digital scales from Cabelas.It may be that I have always used balance beam scales,but the digitals seemed slow.I can weigh charges much faster with my old scales than with his new ones.
  • RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an RCBS 1500 electronic scale/trickler combo. Around $300.00. Very reliable if a little slower than I would like. I would recommend it.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    Don't buy a PACT. They are Junk.
    PACT makes scales for RCBS, but RCBS then charges more for them. PACT's BBK II IS indeed junk, constantly requiring recalibrating or rezeroing. It is accurate enough when working though. I also have an RCBS model... not sure the type, but it works fine! Thinking of getting a trickler for it one day.
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Doran, is very fast and can measure to 1/1000 and can be set to accept/reject
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My PACT dispenser/scale combo has been a GREAT asset to my loading bench. I can get loads right down to the .1gr and still save time.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Tried to Lyman DPS 1200's and an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 - none were accurate. Lyman's were off up to 1.1 grains, RCBS was off up to .6 grains.

If I am spending that kind of money, I expect accuracy.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another thing is that any time you use a digital scale..you must re-calibrate that scale every time....takes about 1min.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I've been using an RCBS 1500 for a
    month or so now and it's accurate
    (I'm still confirming each load with
    a beam scale), dead on or a hair off.
    Really good device but if you have a need
    for speed, it isn't what you want.
    Get a good powder thrower and wipe it
    often with those dryer cling free sheets.
    Mine is located down cellar,dry and cool
    ,maybe that makes a difference.
    Best thing since sliced bread for rifles
    that is, don't think I'd use it for pistols.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Digitals are faster but probably not any more accurate than the old mechanical balance type. I've found that a digital operating on a 9 volt battery starts to wander and become quite inaccurate when the battery begins to lose some of its power. This happens long before the battery is dead. If you go digital, make sure you get one that has a plug-in power supply not a battery.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my digital RCBS. A basic model. If my memory serves me well there are a few more "labels" than there are manufacturers. Those models that look VERY similar, may be made by the same folks. Haven't checked accuracy against an old swinging beam, but I've checked many batches of match bullets and it appears to be spot on and repeatable for precision. Fast, too.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I use an rcbs micro pro every time i put the 20 gram check weight on it it reads 20 grams but I always calibrate it every time I use it
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman dps 1200 & 1200 11 all the way! Stay away from the 2 piece infra red scales. Stay away from the 2 piece scales alltogether.
  • Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the earlier Lyman DPS 1200's. It's dead on accurate, but it requires a 30 minute warm up time, and you have to completely eliminate any environmental air flow like from open windows, heat vents, overhead fans, etc. They are also sensitive to vibrations, so it might be good to have it on a separate table or stand that's really solid, away from your reloading bench.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I have been useing a pack for about 2 years now and it's GREAT, only thing I have problems with are sticky buttons, any body know haow to cure that problem?