In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-06 BRASS

lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got some(mil) and some of the headstamps go into the early 50's and late 40's. Is there a way you can tell if they were loaded with mercuric primers and even if they were, if they were only reloaded once would there be a problem. I know about all the maybe's and probably's and I'm not sure when the move to non-mercuric was but being so cheap I hate to toss them.Thanks

Comments

• lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got about 500 pcs. of 30-06 on E bay
    I am a novice reloaded and need some help ----
    I can't seem to resize this brass --
    put oil on them but on most I can't get
    the handle down ----
    I have a bolt action Weatherby and even the ones I get to size
    they seem tight in the chamber ---
    Please help
    Lee
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few questions.

1) what is the head stamp on the brass?
    2) What kind of "oil" are you using for lube? Do you mean case lube?
    3) how do you have the die adjusted in the press?
    4) what kind of press?
    5) what kind of dies?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lee_dan,

One more question to add to Bpost's:

Were these rounds from an auto/semi-auto? Chambers tend to be a little on the large side for these. And when extracting the cases have been known to still expand just a little as everything comes loose during cycling. But, that depends on the type of gas system the rifle employs.
  • lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Head Stamps -- Assorted
    R.P Sprg - Winchester Sprg -F C Sprg -
    2. No I did not use Case Lub
    Used light weight machine oil --- canolla oil -
    I have Lee Dies and they said I did not need Lub
    4. and 5. Lee Press and dies --
    3. How many ways are there to adjust the press
    Like I said Some I can size and some I can't--

Sand -- I got them on E bay so I do not know what Weapon--
    I mounted my press on a board and the on a 6 Drawer dresser
    with C clamps
    so I can remove the press at will --
    I have had brass stuck to tight that I picked up the dresser
    trying to get the brass out ---
    Had to drive them out fron the top ---
    Thanks again

Lee
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Lee,
    You need to use a case lube that is made to be case lube, there are lots avalible, I use Hornady Unique case lube, comes in a small tubb sorta like creme cheese. You can buy lube in tubes, spray cans or on a mat that you roll your cases on, it's not expensive. Read your Lee intructions for adjusting the dies in your press. I use alot of Lee dies and am very happy with all of them. Make shure you don't have any old military brass that is berdan primed, they will have arsenal head stamps and will need a special tool to punch them out. Hope this helps.
    W.D.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee case lube is good (doesn't kill primers) apply to inside case neck with qtip. Redding Sizing Die Wax to outside via a patch, making sure of thin coat near base. Make sure your die is a Full Length Sizer (not neck only) and remove the decapping pin or it will break or bend soon. Make or buy a punch for removing the crimped primers. Use knife or primer pocket tool to remove crimp on primer. Check case length, trim? champher inside and out, then use a Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer.
  • steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are the markings on your Lee Dies?

Are you sure they are for a 30-06.

Lee Full Length Dies require lube! If the instructions that came with your dies say not to lube then they may Lee Collet (neck) dies.

Do you have the decapping stem set correctly? If it is down to far then it may be bottoming out on the brass.

Oil is to thick foe case lube. Get the right stuff and try again.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve4102
    What are the markings on your Lee Dies?

Are you sure they are for a 30-06.

Lee Full Length Dies require lube! If the instructions that came with your dies say not to lube then they may Lee Collet (neck) dies.

Do you have the decapping stem set correctly? If it is down to far then it may be bottoming out on the brass.

Oil is to thick foe case lube. Get the right stuff and try again.
    Bingo; if it says no lube, you have a collet die set that neck sizes only. This is fine, but does require brass to be returned to factory spec- i.e. full length sized.

Easy enough to do once you have the proper dies. Follow the Lee instructions carefully and report back. If you don't want to use proper case lube, STP engine oil treatment works pretty fair. You'll need to remove that before loading though.
  • bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly! You need a FL sizing die. Your Lee collett die just neck sizes. Once you fire the brass in your rifle they will work fine.
    JM[8D]