In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

25-06 loads

Need some help.

I have a new caliber. 25-06 and I want to tune it in for deer sized game. I'm thinking in the 115-120 gr neighborhood. Assume lg rifle primers, thinking along the spitzer boattail line of bullets.

What's the powder du jour of this puppy. 4320/4350/3031?
Any direction would be appreciated

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.

Comments

• warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found that my 25-06 gives very good groups with the Sierra 117 gr boattail spitzer using 50 grains of IMR4831 and Win larger rifle primers. The slower burning powders seem to work best for me in this caliber.

I used this load last fall to drop my deer in it's tracks at 350 yds.

I zeroed the rifle to shoot 2" high at 200 yds. I placed the crosshairs at the top of the deers back when I touched the trigger.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't loaded mine enough yet However mine seems likes the 100 gr. NSBT. GHD will have a good recipe for ya. [8D]

eyeflash.gif

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all exist very nicely in the same box.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Ya' know, it ain't too late to get a 6mm Remington barrel.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    That 25-06 is gonna shoot well enough for deer size game no matter what you chamber in it.[:p]

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a .25-06 last fall, but have loaded for one for at least 20 years for friends. I have two favorite recipes: Nosler 100gr BT with 54gr of IMR 4831 and 115gr Nosler BT with 52grs of IMR 4831 both ignited by Federal Magnum Match primers. The first load is responsible for at least 75 whitetails taken since 1987 taken by friends. The latter load was suggested by GHD and I chrono'd it at 3150 out of my Tikka T3 in .25-06 and took a doe with it at about 250 yds, it ran about 15 yards.
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    49.0 grains of IMR 4350, CCI 200 or CCI BR2 primer, 117 grain Sierra Spitzer Boattail.......dead deer!!!!! The deadliest, most consistent, works in about every conceivable 25-06, load I've ever seen!!! GHD....pastor at the church of GHD...25-06!!!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • scottsdalepingscottsdaleping Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAVE USED THE FOLLOWING FOR 30 YEARS IN 4 DIFFERENT RIFLES, LATEST IS A JERRY SIMISON REM 700 W/27 3/4 IN BRUX BARREL.SHOOTS 2 1/2 IN AT 300 YDS AND I AM NOT A BENCH REST PRO.

SPEER # 1408, 100 GR SPBT, 56.5 GR H4831/4831SC,WIN WEST BRASS,WIN LG RIFLE MAG PRIMERS.NO PRESSURE SIGNS WHAT SO EVER.

DID TRY 55.5 GRAINS LOAD AND GROUP SIZE DOUBLED AT 300 YDS
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by groundhog devastation
    49.0 grains of IMR 4350, CCI 200 or CCI BR2 primer, 117 grain Sierra Spitzer Boattail.......dead deer!!!!! The deadliest, most consistent, works in about every conceivable 25-06, load I've ever seen!!! GHD....pastor at the church of GHD...25-06!!!
    Blast From The Past. I loaded almost the same combo back in the early 70's, but with Rem. large primers. Like you said, great load.
  • telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used this load for the last 20 years and it works great. 60grs of H870 behind a 120 nosler partition. It will do anything you need to do. Deer, Elk, Bear. No issues and shoots very accurately.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why was this posting from 05/21/2004 BTTed ? ? ? [?] [:(] [?]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alan Rushing,

Sometimes it's simply a matter of looking for more updated or additional information. Other times it's letting the large number of new members see some of the older original posts to see waht;'s available though a search.

Best.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had pulled out some of my personal reloading info for my .25-06 Ackley and posted it here on this thread and then noted the start date for the original posting, so I D/Ced my post ... looks like I should have just left it for posterity for GP for anyone that might have had any use for it!

In general though I had worked a ladder with it. Started fairly low and took 1/2 grain steps up to near or approaching max loads (without any pressure warning signs). I did this with both IMR-4350 and IMR-4831.

I found two areas (with each powder) that were of interest to me, so I went back and loaded up 5 in each fine increment from a bit below my "sweet spots" to a bit above.

That confirmed the results of my first quick ladder run through, but significantly fine tuned it all.

Both powders were indicated for the various chamberings that I was loading for at the time. However, for me and my rifle, it seemed that we were getting a little better consistancy and slightly tighter groups with the IMR-4831. By the time I had finished fine tuning with both powder loads, I found my confidence was with the IMR-4831.