In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7x57

sam77757sam77757 Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
My dad has a custom built 97/98 mauser in 7x57 caliber we dont know much about these guns but it has a free floating 26in barrel checkered monte carlo stock and shoots extremely acurate..does anyone know anything about these rifles? it was my grandfathers gun he had purchased out west somewhere on one of his many adventures! Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam,

You will need to provide alot more information and some really good photographs of the rifle and the markings on the rifle. Even then, if this one is from an individual gunsmith shop in Germany or the U.S. for that matter, there won't be any information available unless marked on the rifle. Take the rifle out of the stock and look for markings on the sides and bottom of the receiver and barrel. Detailed photos of these will help to figure out some of the background.

Please understand that there have been 100's of thousands of customized Mausers made in one form or another. Documents for most are few and far between. The more detail you can provide, the better chance of getting good information.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam77757,

If you want more specifics about the rifle itself you would need to go the route that nononsense has described. I would say that customization is no doubt a helpful factor with the accuracy.

If interested in the 7x57 Mauser round, I can tell you it has quite the history. First used in combat against U.S. Troops in the Spanish-American war in the model '93 Mauser. The 700 Spaniards defending San Juan Hill began engaging American forces at a range of 2000 meters, firing into 'infantry en masse'. While U.S. forces took the hill and the battle, casualties were disproportionately in favor of the Spanish. It, specifically was the reason the Ordnance Bureau developed the 30-06.
    While the 7x57 never gained the popularity of the 7mm Rem mag it still carries the phenominal ballistics of that caliber. It has a smidge more power than the 7mm-08. Both are very pleasant to shoot and with excellent ballistics give extended effective range. I have two 7x57's and love to shoot both.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its Got STA Barbara spain marathon products inc. weth conn. sportsman 7x57 marked on the barrel i'll get some pics saturday when i go over there for x-mas thanks for the info ....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sam77757,

If it's a complete Santa Barbara rifle it is a good rifle. Does it have any engraving?

I can tell you that Santa Barbara was name of the company that took over C.E.T.M.E. That's basically the acronym for the the Spanish national armory. It was made post 1960 when the armory was privatized. I have a Santa Barbara action that I built into a very nice .308. I think you have a pretty good rifle there. One thing you might look into is the rifle twist. Original Spanish twists in the '93 were 1-8.25" to stabilize a 173gr. bullet.
    Take a cleaning rod that turns freely in it's handle and install a 7mm jag on the end. Remove the bolt from the rifle and insert the jag with a patch into the bore and stop when it is in firmly. Mark a point on the rod over a reference point. Slightly behind that, mark the top center of the rod. Continue inserting the rod into the bore and note that the rod rotates. When the rod has rotated completely around stop. Mark the point on the rod that is over the original reference point. Measure the distance between the marks. That is the twist. The tighter the twist the longer(heavier) bullet it can stabilize. Don't be surprized if the twist is 1-9" or 1-10". With a tight twist you can stabilize as heavy a bullet in 7mm as anyone makes.
    We'd still like to hear more about this rifle. Pics too if you'd like to post them. -thanks for the post

• Options
    edited November -1
    will put the pics up later this weekend .. but it does have some engravings on it as far as i can remember... A dealer once offered dad 1000$ for it and he turned it down because of sentimental value the dealer then proceeded to offer him 2000 then 3000 then finally when he said it wasnt for sale he said 4500$ was his last offer but dad turned it down and asked him why he offered him so much he stated that "it was just a custom mauser in a caliber that i have been looking for" But wouldnt tell us anything more... Does that make a rifle worth 4500$ ? just because its a gun your looking for?One other thing i just realized that i posted this in the wrong section if the mods need to move it thats fine I Apologize
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    No one would pay that kind of money (for a rifle in a caliber he was looking for) unless it was a very special one for whatever reason.

You could build your own a lot cheaper than $4500.00....

There has to be more to it !!!!

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sam77757,

The only reason I know of that someone would offer that kind of money for a Santa Barbara, albeit a good rifle, is that if there was proof that one of the master engravers did the engraving on the action and the rifle was completed at the Santa Barbara Facility. Otherwise, $1K for an original and $1K for a complete custom using an engraved action from Santa Barbara.

...Unless, the rifle was completed by a well known gunsmith or company, i.e. H&H or of that kind of fame.

• Options
    edited November -1
    still working on the pics guys my camera was acting funny over the weekend and the pics got deleted some how so ill get them again