In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bulky powder question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
Any ideas on how to get a powder measure(RCBS Uniflow)to throw consistent charges of powder such as IMR 4064 or similar powders? Seems like I am getting variances of 2-5 grains from one throw to another. I ended up weighing each charge, which works but is very time consuming. Thanks.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The Lyman 55 has a small steel KNOCKER that you flip to settle the powder and also make sure it does not BRIDGE in the drop tube but you can also help by moving the handle the same way each time on any powder measure . wipe the inside of your powder measure with a clothes drier sheet to cut down on static cling on the powder to plastic tube.
  • ironquackerironquacker Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did tou run a full powder measure of powder through before you tried to throw a charge? I had to with my RCBS.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    It's pretty tough to throw consistant charges of 4064 with a powder measure.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    The Lyman 55 has a small steel KNOCKER that you flip to settle the powder and also make sure it does not BRIDGE in the drop tube but you can also help by moving the handle the same way each time on any powder measure . wipe the inside of your powder measure with a clothes drier sheet to cut down on static cling on the powder to plastic tube.

The static may have something to do with it. Manufacturer's state in their manual to run a full hopper through the measure to eliminate the static.

Perry has a great idea with the dryer sheet.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had the powder measure for some time, so it has had several hoppers ran through it. I move the handle consistently, so that isn't the problem. This is the first time I've used 4064 though. I'm sure 4064 is very good. I'll find out when I shoot some of the reloads. I loaded 52.9 grains of 4064 behind a 158 grain .357 pistol bullet out of a 350 Rem Mag. According to the Speer Manual that should yield me about 2700 fps, so we'll see. Thanks.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    One trick I have used for years is to put a weight on top of the powder column. I also use a RCBS uniflow. I found a jar that just fits in the column and I put a small amount of shot in it. I screw the top on it and use a magnet rod to pull it out when the powder gets low. This will make for more accurate metering as it makes the weight of the powder in the column vary less from full to near empty.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow 2700 FPS on a pistol bullet I would be surprised if you get any size groups to brag about I would think the different in powder charge would be the least of your worrys.
    edited November -1
    perry shooter, I will let you know through this forum how they shoot. I'm waiting on a set of scope rings I ordered, and am trying to buy a nice Burris or Leupold scope on E-Bay. I floated the barrel today. (Ithink I did the best float job I've ever done). Really looks professional. I'm going to have the trigger played with also before I shoot it for the first time, and we'll see what happens. The 2700 fps wasn't the max loading either. It was just a middle of the road load.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you planning on shooting with those pistol bullets hadjii ?
    I doubt they'd stay together on game out of your 350 mag. being designed to work at hangun velocities and don't have the B.C. & S.D. to shoot well at longer ranges.
    Just plinkers for fun ??
    Just wondered.....................
    edited November -1
    temblor, my plan is too shoot coyotes with them at short to mid range, mostly in the woods and along creeks where I set up and call. Actually, I bought this gun with the intention of never shooting or even putting it together out of the box, but as soon as I got it home, them plans went out the window. Also, I could use it in southern Iowa for our late season antlerless special season. The last week of the 2 week season, centerfires are allowed. The last deer I shot with a centerfire was a 12 point down in the swamps of Louisianna when I was stationed at Fort Polk. The last 4 years I've been trying to go to Minnesota, but I missed 2 years due to being in Iraq, and last year I was in training, and this year I'll be in South America vaccinating cattle and horses for the Army, so hopefully next year I'll get a free November. I've also been putting in for a Maine Moose tag, and I figure by the time I'm 65, I might get lucky enough to land a tag, so I guess I'll be ready firearms wise anyway.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

Back to the powder issue. I gently(not big taps) tap about three times up per throw and 3 time after I've dropped the charge down the tube. Generally speaking I get about .2-.4 grains. of difference when throwing charges with 4064. I won't say it is the best metering powder but it should sure meter bettr than 2-4 grains difference. -good luck
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for all stick powders; it is accurate to within a grain and a half; this still requires final weighing. I use an RCBS for all ball powder; it crunches on the sticks and mushes flake types into cakes. The Lee however leaks ball powder... fun stuff.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Cheap, plastic junk but it works much better on the big stick powders than my expensive measures. If you want dead-nuts accuracy charge to charge, set your measure to always throw charges a little on the light side. Throw them into your scale pan then use a powder trickler to top them off on the scale.